Hi, I am new & I have a qn: What do US citizens think about Indians? (Soft Engineers)

praveenkumar.p

Baseband Member
Hi, I am new & I have a qn: What do US citizens think about Indians? (Soft Engineers)

Hi, this might be a lengthy read, but I would be pleased to know the American view upon Indian Professionals.

A brief intro about me:
I am Praveenkumar Pon P, of India. I am taking up an Under graduate College course in Computer Science Engineering next month and that's just a start. I understand that one has to update himself constantly with the latest developments in the field, in order to survive.

The Indian Education system:

The thing is; the education system in India, especially in my Province, is a little low in standard; particularly in the High school level. The State government has taken steps only recently, to improve them and the new curriculum hasn't been enforced yet.
The result: We are unable to perform well in the College level, where a better standard exists. In most cases, high school students do nothing more than by-hearting the text in order to score more marks, which in turn is used to allot them into the best Colleges, based on ranking. So, the ‘by-hearting ones' end up in better Colleges and less focus is given to improve creative skills in school level. Adding to that, sometimes, High school graduates don't even know which course to take up in College, because they don't have the real opportunity to explore where their real skills lie. As I was one among the kind I mentioned above, it took me a little longer to figure it out right. Now, before gearing up into College level, I have already finished Diploma courses in C, C++ and I have just taken Java, in a private coaching centre (and I also know typewriting).

What I really want to know is, how is the real ‘atmosphere' for the Computer Engineering field in the U.S., and how do U.S. citizens consider Indian Computer professionals?

Well, you might be wondering why I am asking these kind of questions. The thing is I hate the mood in India.
Reasons:
• Extremely crowded and hot.
• Lack of obedience to basic laws like road rules, city neatness:mad:.
• There are too many regional languages; if you get transferred to some other Province where they don't speak yours… its hell (Even though Hindi is spoken in most of the parts, that's not an easy language to learn and many don't know English).
• Ethnicity: There are too many caste, and communities like N. Indians (Rajasthani, Punjabis/Singh, Marwaries, Assamese), S. Indians (Keralites, Andhras, Tamils-THAT'S ME); and one usually doesn't feel comfortable with the other; because you have the language barrier, cultural difference and lots:confused:.
• I just wanna be like Hermione Granger… you know… studious and always ready with answers and ahead of others; but at the same time not a nerd.
• Me… I am kinda like a perfectionist with a jolly mood… not too much… somewhat like a mix between Hermione's brain, Monica Gellar's (of F.R.I.E.N.D.S.) perfectionism, and also a ‘body and diet conscious' guy who works out regularly.
• There is another one, the relationship thing btw a boy and a girl – the freedom that you have in there but not in India due to cultural restrictions. Well, that field too is getting westernized now, but not that fast so that I could be benefitted;).
• I hate Indian films and songs, but I love Hollywood films and pop music. Even though I don't hear to much music; Avril Lavigne, Linkin Park are my favorite. Well, when is the next POTC getting released? I'm dying to see Capt. Jack Sparrow's eccentric, yet ingenious acts.
• And in the future, I wanna go somewhere far away, a neat and a perfect country and a satisfying profession:cool:.

Re: Hi, I am new & I have a qn: What do US citizens think about Indians? (Soft Engine

Hi, this might be a lengthy read, but I would be pleased to know the American view upon Indian Professionals.

A brief intro about me:
I am Praveenkumar Pon P, of India. I am taking up an Under graduate College course in Computer Science Engineering next month and that's just a start. I understand that one has to update himself constantly with the latest developments in the field, in order to survive.

The Indian Education system:

The thing is; the education system in India, especially in my Province, is a little low in standard; particularly in the High school level. The State government has taken steps only recently, to improve them and the new curriculum hasn't been enforced yet.
The result: We are unable to perform well in the College level, where a better standard exists. In most cases, high school students do nothing more than by-hearting the text in order to score more marks, which in turn is used to allot them into the best Colleges, based on ranking. So, the ‘by-hearting ones' end up in better Colleges and less focus is given to improve creative skills in school level. Adding to that, sometimes, High school graduates don't even know which course to take up in College, because they don't have the real opportunity to explore where their real skills lie. As I was one among the kind I mentioned above, it took me a little longer to figure it out right. Now, before gearing up into College level, I have already finished Diploma courses in C, C++ and I have just taken Java, in a private coaching centre (and I also know typewriting).

What I really want to know is, how is the real ‘atmosphere' for the Computer Engineering field in the U.S., and how do U.S. citizens consider Indian Computer professionals?

Well, you might be wondering why I am asking these kind of questions. The thing is I hate the mood in India.
Reasons:
• Extremely crowded and hot.
• Lack of obedience to basic laws like road rules, city neatness:mad:.
• There are too many regional languages; if you get transferred to some other Province where they don't speak yours… its hell (Even though Hindi is spoken in most of the parts, that's not an easy language to learn and many don't know English).
• Ethnicity: There are too many caste, and communities like N. Indians (Rajasthani, Punjabis/Singh, Marwaries, Assamese), S. Indians (Keralites, Andhras, Tamils-THAT'S ME); and one usually doesn't feel comfortable with the other; because you have the language barrier, cultural difference and lots:confused:.
• I just wanna be like Hermione Granger… you know… studious and always ready with answers and ahead of others; but at the same time not a nerd.
• Me… I am kinda like a perfectionist with a jolly mood… not too much… somewhat like a mix between Hermione's brain, Monica Gellar's (of F.R.I.E.N.D.S.) perfectionism, and also a ‘body and diet conscious' guy who works out regularly.
• There is another one, the relationship thing btw a boy and a girl – the freedom that you have in there but not in India due to cultural restrictions. Well, that field too is getting westernized now, but not that fast so that I could be benefitted;).
• I hate Indian films and songs, but I love Hollywood films and pop music. Even though I don't hear to much music; Avril Lavigne, Linkin Park are my favorite. Well, when is the next POTC getting released? I'm dying to see Capt. Jack Sparrow's eccentric, yet ingenious acts.
• And in the future, I wanna go somewhere far away, a neat and a perfect country and a satisfying profession:cool:.

The question you're asking is very general and quite vague (e.g. do you mean in terms of jobs or culture?).

In any case welcome aboard and your English is wonderful.

Re: Hi, I am new & I have a qn: What do US citizens think about Indians? (Soft Engine

Everything you're complaining about happens here in the states. Indians working in the computer fields here are a dime a dozen. Girls here are sluts but it's quite easy in India too. Just got to know how to talk to them. Don't come here just to have sex and party. You will end up disappointing yourself in the end.

The question you're asking is very general and quite vague (e.g. do you mean in terms of jobs or culture?).

In any case welcome aboard and your English is wonderful.

Says the king of vague and boring questions. This is actually a very legit question.

Everything you're complaining about happens here in the states. Indians working in the computer fields here are a dime a dozen. Girls here are sluts but it's quite easy in India too. Just got to know how to talk to them. Don't come here just to have sex and party. You will end up disappointing yourself in the end.

Actually, Indian engineers are common, but engineers in general are lacking.

At my school, 90% of the Mechanical Engineering graduate program is Indian. But a lot of them are here on Visa since the American school system is still one of the best overall. But finding a job here is a whole different story because of the Visas. If you can get a working visa, and a decent education in software engineering, you can find a job here. There are a lot of jobs available for that degree.
America is quite a bit different than India. I think you would like it here based on what you have said you dislike in your home country.

Linking Park is the one rock band that it seems a lot of foreigners know about. My roommate from China knew about them, but Metallica, Nirvana, and a lot of other popular bands he had never heard of before. Linkin Park must do a lot more foreign tours or something...

Also, in regards to Johnny Depp... check out my avatar.

Simple answer is they are just like the American ones. Some are great, others simply suck. The company I work for has some Software engineers in India so I work with them on a semi-regular basis. Most are great people who know what their doing, others seem to just scrape by. But like I said, there are Americans who fit the same build.

I guess in the end my point is, I see no difference between American professionals and Indian Professionals.

In my career as a software engineer, I have worked with many Indian engineers. As celegorm said above, some are great, others not so great. It's the same with any other group, American engineers as well. There can be some resentment, for instance, if an Indian engineer gets promoted over an American, some immature engineers may resent that. It generally can be chalked up to "sour grapes".

Most of the Indians I have worked with have a good command of English so that written communication is good. However, when speaking face-to-face or over the phone, I personally have problems understanding what some are saying due to their accent.

Hey, thanks for your reply guys...
Yup.. the Indian accent would really be vague and funny, i sometimes laugh over what i spoke:eek:
Well, if any Indian reads my post "that i hate India", he might be little annoyed, but it doesn't mean I am not patriotic. I just hate the way things have gone wrong, and a hell of corruption goes on here... recently... you might have heard about the 2G spectrum scam - 2G spectrum financial scandal in the Telecommunications and IT Ministry is noteworthy as the largest political corruption case in modern Indian history, amounting to a record $40 billion loss from underpricing to the Government of India.
But I don't want this thread to go on regarding politics please. Well, you might have heard about the culture in India, I have even seen foreigners admire the culture here. So what do you think? Can you survive the extremely hot summers, threat of terrorism, absence of girlfriends, arranged marriage and with whom you need to stick for ever due to cultural pressures, extremely arrogant driving, extremely slow internet speeds (only now 3G has set foot in India), and tightly packed, sweaty bus travel to office?

Well, you might have heard about the culture in India, I have even seen foreigners admire the culture here. So what do you think? Can you survive the extremely hot summers, threat of terrorism, absence of girlfriends, arranged marriage and with whom you need to stick for ever due to cultural pressures, extremely arrogant driving, extremely slow internet speeds (only now 3G has set foot in India), and tightly packed, sweaty bus travel to office?

Let's consider the fact that I was born in India and go there every year. How are you going to face the extremely cold weather here, racism, lack of girlfriends, the difficulties of love marriages, same driving, high prices and the public transportation? America is practically the same as India. It's a great place to live but you're coming here for all of the wrong reasons. It's pretty much a boiling pot of anger towards many immigrants. If you find a great job, come on over. It can be an amazing place if you live in the right parts. But the lack of cultural understanding and tensions due to the economy don't help the attitudes of the natives here. As Celegorm and Strollin said, you won't exactly be well liked if the get the job over a native regardless of how qualified you are. Trust me, I know. I just got a job as an insurance agent and the other people weren't exactly saying the nicest things about me.

Let's consider the fact that I was born in India and go there every year. How are you going to face the extremely cold weather here, racism, lack of girlfriends, the difficulties of love marriages, same driving, high prices and the public transportation? America is practically the same as India. It's a great place to live but you're coming here for all of the wrong reasons. It's pretty much a boiling pot of anger towards many immigrants. If you find a great job, come on over. It can be an amazing place if you live in the right parts. But the lack of cultural understanding and tensions due to the economy don't help the attitudes of the natives here. As Celegorm and Strollin said, you won't exactly be well liked if the get the job over a native regardless of how qualified you are. Trust me, I know. I just got a job as an insurance agent and the other people weren't exactly saying the nicest things about me.
YouTube - they took our jobs

Back
Top Bottom