Hard Drive Not Detected In Ubuntu BIOS

netmanx

Beta member
Hi im trying to add a second hard drive to my computer and ive gotten to the stage where everything should be hooked up correctly but it doesnt work. The problem im having is that the BIOS does not see the hard drive that is connected so if i could get some help diagnosing what the problem is that would be great.

Im taking the hard drive from another computer of mine and although i think it will fail at some point (hearing a grinding noise) it does work in the other computer so the hard drive (shouldnt?) be the problem.

The hard drive i want to install is an IDE and the motherboard and master hard drive are SATA. I went and bought an adaptor, the data cable is working fine as well as the SATA port that i am plugging it into, i switched the master hard drive to use that cable and port and it booted up fine.

The second hard drive as far as i understand has been set to slave, the pins looking like this:

[:::8:] [****]

The 8 representing the little white thing and the figure to the right being the spot where the power cable goes.

The only two possibilities left i think are the actual adaptor (not the cables) or some setting in the BIOS. i dont know which settings in the BIOS would make a difference towards the hard drive so if youd like to know whether something is disabled/enabled just ask, kind of hoping it isnt a broken adaptor, all i can tell about it is that it is receiving power because it has an led on it.

Back
Top Bottom