New Mac Pro

Jay,

Don't you have an iMac too? I've been running my MacBook Pro over the last year and I love it, but it gets really hot after using it all day. I've been looking at both the Mac Pro's and new 27" iMac systems and can't decide what to buy. I like the expandability the Mac Pro offers, however, I like that the iMac is including a really nice 27" display in the price.

I'm debating about a 27" iMac i7 with 8GB of memory or if it would be worth it to go up to an 8 core Mac Pro. I mainly do website design spending my time in PS, but I find myself using Final Cut Pro more and more editing videos and think the extra cores may be a benefit. The added memory is just a benefit for running virtual OS's when testing various equipment, I can't run more than 3 at once before my system bogs down now.

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;1080401 said:
Jay,

Don't you have an iMac too?

Gave it to a friend after a few months, but yes, I owned an iMac.

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;1080401 said:
I've been running my MacBook Pro over the last year and I love it, but it gets really hot after using it all day. I've been looking at both the Mac Pro's and new 27" iMac systems and can't decide what to buy. I like the expandability the Mac Pro offers, however, I like that the iMac is including a really nice 27" display in the price.

You need to keep in mind that the Mac Pro is a workstation using workstation grade parts. As such, it's substantially more expensive in comparison to the iMac when you compare specifications to specifications - but less expensive in comparison to workstation offerings by HP and Dell. I actually went with the Mac Pro because it was cheaper than other vendors, which I'm sure you'll all find somewhat surprising.

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;1080401 said:
I'm debating about a 27" iMac i7 with 8GB of memory or if it would be worth it to go up to an 8 core Mac Pro. I mainly do website design spending my time in PS, but I find myself using Final Cut Pro more and more editing videos and think the extra cores may be a benefit. The added memory is just a benefit for running virtual OS's when testing various equipment, I can't run more than 3 at once before my system bogs down now.

It all depends. I have multiple monitors on my desk, so using an iMac as my primary computer simply wasn't an option. All things considered, I think you'll be perfectly fine with an iMac. It's really a respectable machine with a fantastic display that usually costs a grand if purchased separately. If you want to save money, buy an iMac. If you have the cash to spare and think you need the extra flexibility, buy a Mac Pro.

But for you, I'd recommend the iMac - after they undergo a refresh with Intel's new CPU architecture.

The release of Mac OS X Lion will debut a new development framework called Scene Kit, which developers say will support easy to implement 3D rendering within their apps.

While Apple Insider has heard earlier mention of Scene Kit, a developer familiar with Lion has explained that the new framework will support the import, manipulation and rendering of three dimensional assets, handing the complex end of 3D graphics for app developers.

This makes Scene Kit similar to the Core Animation data visualization API Apple launched in 10.5 Leopard (which was based upon the Layer Kit developed for the iPhone OS to provide easy to use transitions and other motion graphic effects).

The developer noted that Scene Kit is "consistent" with the APIs of Apple's other graphical frameworks, including Image Kit and Core Animation, and does not require advanced 3D graphical programming skills.

This will reportedly make it easy for third party apps to add consistent, familiar, and easy to use 3D object manipulation and rendering to their apps.

The new Scene Kit framework imports 3D assets using COLLADA, an open, XML-based interchange file format managed by Khronos Group, the standards body behind OpenGL, OpenCL, and WebGL.

COLLADA was originally developed by Sony, with collaboration from Alias, Autodesk and Avid. It is widely used by video game engines and is the standard used by Google in SketchUp Pro 8.0 and later, as well as Google Earth 4 and later.

Lion's new Scene Kit is designed to import COLLADA 3D objects and build scenes composed by cameras, lights, and meshes, with the framework providing tools for manipulating the bounding volumes, geometry and materials used in the scene.

Gave it to a friend after a few months, but yes, I owned an iMac.

You need to keep in mind that the Mac Pro is a workstation using workstation grade parts. As such, it's substantially more expensive in comparison to the iMac when you compare specifications to specifications - but less expensive in comparison to workstation offerings by HP and Dell. I actually went with the Mac Pro because it was cheaper than other vendors, which I'm sure you'll all find somewhat surprising.

It all depends. I have multiple monitors on my desk, so using an iMac as my primary computer simply wasn't an option. All things considered, I think you'll be perfectly fine with an iMac. It's really a respectable machine with a fantastic display that usually costs a grand if purchased separately. If you want to save money, buy an iMac. If you have the cash to spare and think you need the extra flexibility, buy a Mac Pro.

But for you, I'd recommend the iMac - after they undergo a refresh with Intel's new CPU architecture.

Thanks for the response on this, I know the Mac Pro is a more solidly built system. I'd say it would probably be overkill for me and I guess I was just questioning the reliability of the iMac or if I'm going to have the same problem with heat that I do with my MBP. I do like the idea of having a dedicated workstation vs an iMac but I like the price tag on the iMac lol.

screenshot20110424at223.png

Back
Top Bottom