ANOTHER failing hard drive?!!!!

I've had a 1TB Caviar Black for around 2 years now, and I freaking love it. I've yet to have a problem, and it's really fast for what it is. Is your computer on a slight angle maybe? Are the HDD's rattling at all in their enclosure? I know both of those things can shorten the life of the drives.

Are the drives set flat or at an angle?

Other than that, I'd guess you could try to plug it in another PC and see if it does it.

As for the sound, it doesn't seem to be a head...so try it in another PC alone, if you can. It could be the controller as well, since you're having quite a lot of failures...

Nope, I have the circuit board side facing the sky though. But I've tried facing the opposite way on a few occasions as well.

I'm just going to re-install Windows on one of the drives yeah, and see how it copes. Use the other one as a standard backup.

HAHAHAHAHA, my two drives before were 500GB's, and one went.
Any how, 500GB isn't enough anymore.

Plus, the 1TB Caviar is 2 500GB platters. It should be as reliable as having a smaller drive.

try upgrading power supply, make sure your hard drives are perfectly level, get an OS that can handle a terabyte hard drive, buy your hard drives from somewhere else

ARGGHHH!!!!

If you've been watching my threads over the past years, you'd have noticed I've had my fairshare of failing hard drives.

Well... it seems, my latest batch is no change to that.

Bought myself 2 WD 1TB HD's set to RAID 1 for my Windows 7 build.
Just noticed now, one of them has started to click, and rather a lot too, whilst re-building the RAID array, which shouldn't be happening at all, because nothing crashed... All I did was turned off the computer overnight, and unplugged the Windows XP drive I had installed to copy files over, and then disconnected that one drive back to the 1 array. I've done that before, no problem.

Why in hell do I keep getting them?

*click click clikc...clclclclcl....click *few seconds later* click click*

Out of curiosity, are your drives brand new or used?

This is pretty much a new power supply so that's okay.
XP & Windows 7 can handle a TB drive.
Micro Direct is pretty well known in the UK.

Comp Explorer - They are always new :(

try replacing the power supply, you dont know if one is bad until you test how your computer works with another one. also, i have an extra terabyte hard drive laying around and its brand spanking new, want to buy it from me? its a WD

That's okay thanks, I'm going to send the drives to be tested at the store for free. See if they can find the drive causing the issue. If they find there is no issue, it's something to do with my PC.

Back
Top Bottom