Keeping malware off my computer.

Rmp5s

In Runtime
I work on people's computers a lot and do lots of virus removal for people. I'm also deploying to Afghanistan in a few weeks where hard drives are passed around, malware and all, like crazy.

What I wonder is this:

Is there something I can get like a firewall or something that would allow me to plug these drives into my computer, whether for repair or just to see what's on them, that would keep malware from copying itself onto my computer? Is this even a valid concern? It always makes me nervous plugging strange drives into my computer(s) and, as of now, I'm not going to let ANYTHING over there touch my computer.

Any feedback greatly appreciated!

Should have mentioned that before...sorry. Windows. When I need to explore infected drives I sometimes boot to linux live cds/partitions but, in some cases that isn't a very good option. A linux distro that was geared towards virus detection and removal in windows filesystems would be awesome but I'm yet to run into one.

This thread got me thinking about the subject in a new way and, after some searching, I found this:

Trinity Rescue Kit | CPR for your computer

Seems pretty useful. I'm going to check it out. Still open to other ideas though! Maybe a hardware solution...?

its ok lol and try Comodo Firewall. here is the link: Firewall Antivirus Software Free Download from Comodoâ„¢

and if you want to defend against IP attackers, try Peer Guardian: Phoenix Labs » PeerGuardian 2

AND if you want to encrypt your hard drive so that if, god forbid, you get your computer stolen when over in Afghan, try TrueCrypt: TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux

PeerGuardian blocks ALL harmful ip addresses that arent in your, "allow" list

TrueCrypt encrypts your hard drive partition so if someone tries to access it, they need a very lengthy password that only you know

Awesome...I'll definitely check those first 2 out. Never heard of the first one, heard of the second one but never used it or anything. Truecrypt I've used and I'm pretty familiar with and, believe me...it's already planned...lol

Thanks!

No problem, good luck in Afghan and thank you for fighting for us!

OH! I couldn't think of the name of this but i just remembered, ZoneAlarm as a firewall/anti-virus
and
Pritatefirewall as a firewall

Awesome! I'll check that out, too! Thanks man.

Thanks for the kind words, as well!

Back
Top Bottom