Websites are not opening in any browser

shanipk82

Solid State Member
Hello everyone,

The problem started after I downloaded and installed a copy of Office 2010 and activated it. I am currently using Windows 7, Firefox 4, Internet Explorer 8, Google Chrome.

Now, it doesn't happen all the times, but it does happen quite often, when I click a link, or try opening a website, it keeps loading, and the status bar tells me, for example, "Waiting for www.google.com" but nothing appears until I stop and refresh. After that, it runs quite smoothly. Also, I have noticed a downward shift in my internet speed.

I have tried the following:

1. Settings for No proxy in all the browsers
  2. Performed a full scan using Avast 4.8 and increased its security settings.
  3. Run a full scan with Windows defender
  4. Run a full scan with Malaware Bytes, it did find some infections which were removed but there is no improvement.
  5. Edited the hosts file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

None of above have solved the problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Restart your computer. Turn your wifi off, wait a few minutes, then turn it back on. Office is a semi big program and it might be slowing your computer down.

ok have you tried setting it to, "use system proxy settings"?

if that doesn't work, uninstall all your browsers besides one and download safari and install it and then erase the one you downloaded safari from

If you think it could be office 2010, try uninstalling it and checking your speed again (you can always install it again, but it'll determine whether it's really office that's causing the issue.)

My guess is it's actually just coincidence, office 2010 has many bugs (annoyingly) but I haven't found the slowing down the internet one yet! Have you got any other PCs on the network? Has their speed dropped as well? (i.e. can you definitely determine it's on a per-pc basis and not a network-wide issue.)

If you think it could be office 2010, try uninstalling it and checking your speed again (you can always install it again, but it'll determine whether it's really office that's causing the issue.)

My guess is it's actually just coincidence, office 2010 has many bugs (annoyingly) but I haven't found the slowing down the internet one yet! Have you got any other PCs on the network? Has their speed dropped as well? (i.e. can you definitely determine it's on a per-pc basis and not a network-wide issue.)

I think it could be office 2010 because it came with an activator. I executed the activator and it installed some files, (some of which were considered by Malware Bytes as infected). On the other hand, It came from a reliable source which is creating doubts about it.

It is a per PC issue not a network. I have got two separate networks set up at my office, other computers are running fine. I know reinstalling windows is an option, but I want to keep that as a last resort. Moreover, it is not the speed that is bothering me, it is that "Waiting for ............". I have to stop navigation, then refresh to finally get into the website. I've tried clearing cache and temp files as well. Someone wrote somewhere that some Trojans make changes to the hosts file, I have also checked that, there were some instances other than 127.0.0.1 which I have deleted and I have been checking that file constantly, those instances doesn't seem to reappear.

Should you need any further details, please let me know.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom