Windows 7 vs XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonderboy1953

In Runtime
Used to have a system that had XP which I liked.

Hearing good things about Windows 7 (and XP too) so I'm doing a comparison.
Which program do you you prefer?

Since you allowed the option, I ticked both.

Windows 7 is more secure, better at a whole host of things notably its wireless support, it's actually usably efficient unlike Vista and it's been around enough so support generally isn't a problem. It also handles multiple monitors much better and doesn't shift all your desktop icons around every time someone loads a game at a different resolution.

Windows XP on the other hand lets me run the VRML / X3D plugins and Java ME stuff that I've needed for the last two uni assignments I've been doing, which don't work as well on a 64 bit Windows 7 box. So there are still compatibility things around, though these are fading fast.

For that reason I'm currently running XP because I genuinely need to, but over easter (since that'll be the end of all uni assignments!) I'll probably reformat and use Windows 7.

Windows 7 has wider support with modern hardware than XP. Also, when i have to install 7 on PCs, it installs pretty fast compared to XP, therefore it's easier. DX11 is in 7 as opposed to DX9 in XP and my drivers seem alot more stable in Windows 7.

I'll be shooting for both XP and Windows 7 next year myself and you have informed on the advantages of both (thank you for that).

I still have doubts about Vista, even with all the fixes done to it.

I still have doubts about Vista, even with all the fixes done to it.
I'd steer well clear personally. There's pretty much nothing it offers above 7, it's got worse support for modern hardware and has much higher hardware requirements despite doing less (thus it follows it's much more inefficient at what it does.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom