Cannot connect to internet

sre2094

Beta member
I am trying to get internet to one of my rooms upstairs, I have wireless and everything works fine downstairs but it is so far from the router it will not pick up the wireless connection. Is there any way to get a connection up there with using 2 routers or anything else, I have ruled out running it wired because it would be next to impossible to get it through the walls. I have windstream if that helps any, thanks for any help.

You could try using a pair of wireless routers with dual transceivers (.11a and .11g or .11n). Placement may be the key, in this case: you want your routers as close to each other as possible. Chances are, your upper floor throughput will be more limited than the lower floor because of the relay, but what can you do?

Ive heard of people putting a wireless repeater half way or so up their staircase so it repeats the signal up to the higher floor, or even just putting one on the higher floor where it can pick up the access point's signal- it will give the signal that extra bit of push to hopefully reach your dead-spot room.
Roughly how far, in a straight line, from your current access point to the computer/room that is having trouble connecting? and how many walls are between them?

See if one of your routers will support acting as a repeater or as a bridge. You can google both to get a better idea how they work.

Repeater: Picks up a wireless signal and re-broadcasts it (all wirelessly).
Bridge: Picks up a wireless signal and allows you to plug an ethernet cable into it.

Thanks guys I will check this stuff out and see if I can get it to work. It is aprox 50FT with 3 walls in between.

If your router doesn't support repeating/bridging you could see if it will work with custom firmware: http://www.dd-wrt.com, which has those capabilities built in. Il warn you though, only use it if it supports your router and you know what your doing.

If possible and assuming you haven't done it yet, you could always try moving your current access point to different locations in the house and see if it helps. Remember that external influences such as powerlines can interfere with the wireless signal - my wireless drops out every time I use my microwave, so perhaps try to account for those things as well.

Oh I forgot to ask what wifi adapter is the computer that cannot receive signal using?

If your router doesn't support repeating/bridging you could see if it will work with custom firmware: http://www.dd-wrt.com, which has those capabilities built in. Il warn you though, only use it if it supports your router and you know what your doing.

If possible and assuming you haven't done it yet, you could always try moving your current access point to different locations in the house and see if it helps. Remember that external influences such as powerlines can interfere with the wireless signal - my wireless drops out every time I use my microwave, so perhaps try to account for those things as well.

Oh I forgot to ask what wifi adapter is the computer that cannot receive signal using?

The adapter was a netgear, I am on windstream, this is the extender I am looking at wouold it do the job? Amazon.com: Hawking HWREN1 Hi-Gain Wireless-300N Range Extender: Electronics?

Cool, i was wondering which model specifically, as some wifi adapters are better than others - like everything else in the world :), but to be honest a repeater will be the easiest and least likely to give you a headache solution.
In my opinion the Hawking range extender looks like it will do the job just fine, but do note this (which is taken from the hawkings product page Hawking Technologies): "*Does Not Support the ATT&T 2Wire Router". Im not sure if you have that router but if you do id find another repeater.
Other than that I hope it solves your problem :cool:

Back
Top Bottom