Do they let you use calculators in classl?

Yeah, for setting up and figuring out a problem they don't help, but solving they do a lot.

Statics and dynamics combined into a one semester class?? We do a separate 3 credit class for each here, and then Mechanics of Materials is the one that's a continuation of statics mainly.

Hell No! Calculators are like the Number one NO NO in my school they think you need to do everything in your brain!

Statics and dynamics combined into a one semester class?? We do a separate 3 credit class for each here, and then Mechanics of Materials is the one that's a continuation of statics mainly.

Well yea...I mean...you learn the concept of Statics and Dynamics in Physics...it's really just busy work to get practice with solving problems. I would assume our version of "Mechanics of Materials" is called Strength of Materials, as that is one of the classes I'm enrolled in next semester.

Well yea...I mean...you learn the concept of Statics and Dynamics in Physics...it's really just busy work to get practice with solving problems. I would assume our version of "Mechanics of Materials" is called Strength of Materials, as that is one of the classes I'm enrolled in next semester.
idk, you learn the concept in physics, but it's VERY basic in physics compared to dynamics. And statics easily took the full semester as well with the amount of information. Strength of materials might be the same. Here that's the name of a class that Civils take after Mechanics of Materials though.

If they are stuffing dynamics and statics into a single 3 credit class... they really aren't giving you a full dose of either of them. Just the basic easy part. The first part of dynamics was fairly easy. Dynamics is a common class for weeding out those that can't handle engineering, and combining it with statics for a single semester sounds like they are removing half of it.

idk, you learn the concept in physics, but it's VERY basic in physics compared to dynamics.

If they are stuffing dynamics and statics into a single 3 credit class... they really aren't giving you a full dose of either of them.

Learning the concept is all you need. If you know how it is supposed to work, then it is only a matter of paying attention to the details. I mean...just be aware of the forces that are involve and one should be fine. Everything that you need to know in Statics & Dynamics you learn in physics. The entire class feels like review. It's a 5 credit hour course by the way. We cover nearly all chapters of Hibbeler's 12h edition Statics & Dynamics book.

Hell No! Calculators are like the Number one NO NO in my school they think you need to do everything in your brain!

They didn't let me use them in Primary School, either.

I can use them in all of my classes. Sometimes it's a little bit... "frowned upon", but they're not banned for any subject. There are one or two maths exam papers which don't let you use them, however

When I took math classes in college 30 years ago we were first required to learn how to do things without a calculator then, once we knew how to do it manually, we were allowed to use a calculator to avoid the drudgery of hand calculations. Statistics was one class I remember as being a major PITA to do without a calculator.

We were also allowed to use them in my electronics classes. I remember winning many bets of who could find the solution faster, someone with an algebraic calculator like a TI or me using an HP calculator and RPN (Reverse Polish Notation). I NEVER lost! RPN wasn't exactly straightforward to learn but once you got it down, it was much easier to use than having to input all those parentheses!

Back
Top Bottom