New Build (Compatable Motherboard for Upcomming Bulldozer)

xtropx

Baseband Member
Does anybody know anything about the compatability between the current AM3 motherboards and the upcoming "Bulldozer" line of CPU's from AMD? I am looking to build a new machine. I was going to build an i5 2500K machine, but now I am leaning towards a Phenom X6 1100T machine and upgrade to Bulldozer later. I have heard rumors that boards offering AM3 will probably support Bulldozer with a BIOS upgrade, but I am hesitant to make the decision on just rumors.

Problem is the memory:
Well, BD will be DDR3-1866 minimum
Source: AMD Bulldozer Motherboard Now Here (Socket G34) - Page 2 - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Some say it needs 1866 MHz, some say it doesn't.

I was looking at this:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7Q-16GBRL

Current motherboard I have seen recommended for the potential upgrade to Bulldozer build:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Source: Amd motherboards - General-Motherboard - Motherboards-Memory

This board appears to be compatible with the AM3+ CPUs.
Source: GIGABYTE - Motherboard - GA-890FXA-UD5 (rev. 3.1)

It has been confirmed:
AMD's BD based AM3+ CPUs will not be able to fit in an AM3 socket! However AM3 CPUs will be able to fit in AM3+ socket.
Source: AM3+ motherboards early release -- a lost opportunity ?? - XtremeSystems Forums

So I am just wondering if it is worth it to go with the Phenom X6 1100T build in hopes of eventually upgrading to the Bulldozer CPU, or just continue with the Core i5 2500k build as that CPU performs better ATM?

Back
Top Bottom