I want to buy a new gaming computer plz help

fredstek

Baseband Member
Hi i want to buy a new computer for gaming. I just want to be able to play some games like fallout and mass effect on full graphics. I only want to spend $400 max, less if possible. Can some one please recomend me some hardware or a system build? I live in australia as well. I will most likely put the computer together myself becuase i know parts and building it is cheaper.

hey thanks xtropx :) i already have a old arse rusted up case and a IDE dvd drive that should be fine? Also wondering what is the worst part of the system thats would be slowing it down?

Also wondering what is the worst part of the system thats would be slowing it down?
Probably that IDE drive. :p

Honestly, maybe the RAM maybe. But I am a RAM whore. I leave 4 web browsers open with 25+ tabs each. :eek: Don't do that, and you should be good. The machine I type this on has 4 and does swell. Overall it appears to be a pretty well-rounded system. Maybe someone else can offer some insight. Appears to be pretty good to me. It is the system I would build if I was going ultra-budget right now....

Building a gaming system to do what you want for $400 is going to be very difficult - or impossible. Does the $400 budget include the operating system?
Here are some model builds that might provide a starting point and ideas:

1. Tom's Hardware Guide does an annual "System Builders Marathon". They have post model builds for $500, $1,000 and $2,000 (March 2011)
$500 model
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/budget-gaming-pc-phenom-ii-radeon-hd-6850,2903.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-sandy-bridge-build-a-pc-overclocking,2876.html

2. ExtremeTech's also does several model builds:
A “cheap” ($850) desktop (December 2011):
Build It: A Cheap Gaming Desktop - How To by ExtremeTech
Build a $200 Linux PC (July 2010)
Build a $200 Linux PC - How To by ExtremeTech

3. You can also find some model builds at by usage and for different price points at the THG forum:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269162-31-recommended-builds-usage

You most likely won't have much left over for a video card, but gaming will require one. The site has specific recommendations for low-end (non-gaming) video cards at different budget levels for under $100:

Best Video Card Upgrades for Non-gaming Use

Those are considered non-gaming cards but most likely will be all you can afford with that budget. Some of them can do limited gaming, as noted on the card, and all will be better than integrated graphics.

Building a gaming system to do what you want for $400 is going to be very difficult - or impossible. Does the $400 budget include the operating system?

The TomShare builds don't include the operating system either. So tack on little more for that and their $527 build is looking more like almost $600 or even a little more. Just throwing that out there. The build I suggested IMHO appears to be the better option.

Crafty people know how to procure a reliable operating system for free. ;)

Back
Top Bottom