One-legged man wins ass-kicking contest

Atomic Rooster

Omnipotent One
Born with one leg, Arizona St. wrestler wins NCAA title

Arizona State's Anthony Robles, born with one leg, beat Iowa's Matt McDonough to claim the 125-pound NCAA Division I individual wrestling title.

Born with one leg, Robles took the 125-pound title Saturday night with a 7-1 win over defending champion Matt McDonough of Iowa. Robles' three-day performance here earned him the Outstanding Wrestler award.

For Robles, it was the finish to a 36-0 senior season and a journey begun when he took up wrestling as a high school freshman in Mesa, Ariz. He was anything but a dominator at the start.

"I was a terrible wrestler, only about 90 pounds, but my mom told me God made me for a reason, and I believe that reason was for wrestling," says Robles, who was given a standing ovation on the podium by a sellout crowd of 17,687 at the Wells Fargo Center.

I don't mean to sound rude, but assuming his BMI were the same, how much would he way with both legs? Did he wrestle against a 125-pounder that was also disabled?

If you look closely at the picture, you'll get your answer.

Good find, AR. Thanks for sharing.

Wrestling is one sport where all disabled athletes are allowed to compete against "normal" athletes. In 4 years of high school wrestling I've seen:

1. Girls qualify for and advance at the state wrestling tournament.
2. A blind athlete compete and do well (the rules are slightly adjusted to force both wrestlers to remain in constant contact and the match is stopped if contact is broken)
3. An athlete that had half of his arm amputated (wrestled "one-handed" so to speak) qualify for the state wrestling tournament.

There are tons of stories about wreslters with one leg/arm or even no legs/arms that compete and do well, as shown in this story.

there was a wrestler on WWF (WWE) a few years back, But it was more a gimic than anything else

Back
Top Bottom