BASIC language

wonderboy1953

In Runtime
Years ago I taught myself BASIC to create a program.

Now I expect BASIC to be out of date. What programming language comes closest to BASIC? Can I teach myself from off the internet?

QBASIC is probably the closest with Python having a very similar code layout IMO.

While a lot of people will kill me to say it's even a real language, Visual Basic is similar enough too...

QBASIC is the closest, but it's also rather out of date these days. VB.NET is similar (ish) and probably the closest language in widespread use to the old BASIC. And yes, you can definitely teach yourself from the internet (though be careful of crap tutorials.. find a reputable source first.)

Is this just for fun or are you hoping to make a career out of it as well? If it's the former, then go ahead and do what you most enjoy. If it's the latter than it might worth looking at a language more respected in the field such as Java or C#.

QBASIC is the closest, but it's also rather out of date these days. VB.NET is similar (ish) and probably the closest language in widespread use to the old BASIC. And yes, you can definitely teach yourself from the internet (though be careful of crap tutorials.. find a reputable source first.)

Is this just for fun or are you hoping to make a career out of it as well? If it's the former, then go ahead and do what you most enjoy. If it's the latter than it might worth looking at a language more respected in the field such as Java or C#.

Fun for now, maybe a career later.

with visual basic...

it's (pretty much only) well suited to Rapid Application Development (RAD), for business software.

it is useful, and there are plenty of people out there using it...
the trouble is business software isn't fun to write.

QBASIC has not been release for over a decade.

it has no relevance in today's world, and wont run on any modern hardware without emulators...

Back
Top Bottom