Rig not turning on/off properly

arsenalbates

Daemon Poster
I have just built my new computer and recently iv been having some trouble with it. a few days ago i turned my pc off and it took about 5 mins to actually go off. The screen ws saying Shutting Down with the egg timer spinning.

Soon after this i turned the pc back on and the fans started for about 1 sec and then it went off. this happened again but for slightly longer and the same happened. the third time it started up but there was nothing visible on the screen until about 2 mins when an error came up saying that the machine had tried to boot several times but couldn't, so it gave me some options to go to the BIOS or to carry on with a normal boot.

After selecting carry on it booted windows.

I have done a virus scan, defraged, removed software from when i thought the problem started and even taken 2 of my hard drives out just leaving the OS drive to see if it was a hardware issue.

Could it be a PSU issue, not enough power to my components ? i have recently installed a PCI card to power a third monitor. could this card be taking a while to shut off thus giving me the long shut-down ?

It sounds like a failed hibernate/standby process. Go into your power options and disable anything that says Standby or Hibernate. I can't stand those options myself.

Which power supply is it? The shutdown time wouldn't have much to do with power since the system was already online, but it can have a role if the power is "dirty".

I have done that,

I found this in the event log !

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance
Date: 16/03/2011 06:16:49 PM
Event ID: 200
Task Category: Shutdown Performance Monitoring
Level: Error
Keywords: Event Log
User: LOCAL SERVICE
Computer: Sam-PC
Description:
Windows has shutdown:
Shutdown Duration : 87823ms
IsDegradation : false
Incident Time (UTC) : ‎2011‎-‎03‎-‎16T18:06:42.127878700Z
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance" Guid="{CFC18EC0-96B1-4EBA-961B-622CAEE05B0A}" />
<EventID>200</EventID>
<Version>1</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>4007</Task>
<Opcode>40</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000010000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-16T18:16:49.118164000Z" />
<EventRecordID>3607</EventRecordID>
<Correlation ActivityID="{04110908-F800-0001-538D-C6FC05E4CB01}" />
<Execution ProcessID="2016" ThreadID="2028" />
<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational</Channel>
<Computer>Sam-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-19" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="ShutdownTsVersion">1</Data>
<Data Name="ShutdownStartTime">2011-03-16T18:06:42.127878700Z</Data>
<Data Name="ShutdownEndTime">2011-03-16T18:08:09.951171800Z</Data>
<Data Name="ShutdownTime">87823</Data>
<Data Name="ShutdownUserSessionTime">2870</Data>
<Data Name="ShutdownUserPolicyTime">1</Data>
<Data Name="ShutdownUserProfilesTime">2</Data>
<Data Name="ShutdownSystemSessionsTime">11682</Data>
<Data Name="ShutdownPreShutdownNotificationsTime">6451</Data>
<Data Name="ShutdownServicesTime">4991</Data>
<Data Name="ShutdownKernelTime">73270</Data>
<Data Name="ShutdownRootCauseStepImprovementBits">2</Data>
<Data Name="ShutdownRootCauseGradualImprovementBits">0</Data>
<Data Name="ShutdownRootCauseStepDegradationBits">0</Data>
<Data Name="ShutdownRootCauseGradualDegradationBits">0</Data>
<Data Name="ShutdownIsDegradation">false</Data>
<Data Name="ShutdownTimeChange">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Took 87 seconds to shut down this process/computer

What OS are you running on your computer? If you are running Windows 7 with SP1 I know that that there is a known bug about this already.

With my Windows 7 build, I had to actually perform a repair, since updates were not installing correctly. I was getting random crashes etc.

Running A Repair Upgrade:

I was advised to put the installation disc back in and run an upgrade whilst Windows 7 is running.
It will essentially re-install all of Windows, but keep all files/programs intact (at least it should)

It did fix all the bugs I was having inc long shut down times/standby start up times, upgrades, etc.
So it must have been an unknown error in the installation.

Since you built this PC, you should have the Windows 7 installation disc, so all should be well :)
Just pop it in, run Setup, and run the Upgrade option.

For After:
After it has installed, make sure you have all your files intact. If some are missing (I didn't have any missing), its most likely means it has moved them to a destination on the hard drive.
You'll find them in C:\Windows.old or C:\$INPLACE.~TR and C:\WINDOWS.~Q (Make sure you have set Windows to show hidden files)

You can delete these using Accessories\System Tools\Disc Cleanup after the upgrade, by selecting to uninstall Windows components in the check box, as the files it backs up can be quite big in size; around 5GB I found.

Trust me and do it :)

Yes it is service pack 1 for windows 7. and come to think of it it was just after this install that i started to notice it.

"Kage" your idea is a good one, I never thought of that !

I will prob do an image of my drive just in case something happens and I loose some of my programs/files.

Or i could try uninstalling service pack 1 (if that is actually possible ?)

Yep, go to Control Panel\Programs & Features.
Click to View Installed Updates.
Find and uninstall the Service Pack (KB976952)

This could all be due to an underlying problem as it was with mine, which was only fixed by re-installing.
I couldn't even run the Service Pack update at all due to my error!

So yeah, image it, uninstall the Service Pack, then put the disc in, and run the upgrade :)

Its certainly advisable, since it does contain fixes, and not installing them will give you problems over time.
Hopefully running the re-installation will fix the problems you were having.

You will have to re-install all of the updates again though, but Windows Update makes this relatively easy

Brill, thanks mate, I will give it a go tomorrow and let you know how I got on.

Just doing an image now otherwise I would do it now lol !

I didn't bother with that safety procedure :p
But then again, my build only had a few programs/data files on it I had in other places, so if it went balls up, it wouldn't have mattered much.

Keep us updated! :)

Back
Top Bottom