data moving software

user12

In Runtime
blah, i've got a bad hard drive slowly corrupting all my data, so its time to pack up and move.

now I can't ghost the data because that wouldn't solve anything so i've got to do a clean install, and reinstall everything. Any slick programs out there that would make this process easier then what im used to? Move all data / program settings / etc.

how comes you cant ghost the drive?? Personally I woulf run a chkdsk on the existing drive then ghost it,, Ive done this many times before

cause i'll just ghost over bad data.

its beyond a chkdsk, i ran sfc in verify only mode and it pulled back 1,000's of corrupt system files, i've got side by side errors on programs, had to reinstall lots of VC++ runtimes just to get it back in 1/2 way working order. If i leave normal word docs or HTML files on my drive if you come back in 60 days and check again you have a 50/50 chance the data will be corrupt.

its been slowly melting down for about 10 months now i've just been patching it up and moving on knowing good and well it needs a new drive.

really just wanted to know if there was something else anyone knew about ot transfer all program setting files and system data to make a reinstall as quick as possible.

I repeat what JCB says. Creating a ghost will save what you have now.
The files won't corrupt anymore.

Get 2 hard drives, and put the ghost on one. This data, even though maybe corrupt in places, won't corrupt any more. You can then safely copy programs once you know nothing can get any worse. Run it as a second hard drive, to pull the data up off the new drive with the old data intact.

I'm afraid I don't know of any programs that will make the process easier though. Most programs on a clean install will have to be re-installed, as they affect the registry etc, but things will just feel cleaner too that way.

yea i know thats pretty much what i need to do........just seeing if anyone figured out any shortcut processes *ugh* guess not :p

lots of reinstalling in my future.

Back
Top Bottom