Old computer: Floppy disk giving me lip.

~Darkseeker~

Fully Optimized
I have an old system i got for nothing from work, when i say old i mean pretty damn old.

Athlon 64 (i think), DDR RAM, Radeon 9550 AGP GPU, IDE drive architectures.

Now, whenever i boot it up, it goes straight to a DOS-like screen (has 'Award BIOS V1.0 at the top of it) that tells me it's either halted the system because it can't find a floppy device, or asks me to insert a system disk and press enter. I dont have any floppys, and havent had for some years now. It has a DVD-RW installed and i'd like to install XP or Server 03 via. this.

any ideas how to get past my hatred of floppy drives?

Well you would have to buy a copy of Windows XP on ebay install that on the PC.
otherwise i dont think you can get past this cursed screen.

Well you would have to buy a copy of Windows XP on ebay install that on the PC.
otherwise i dont think you can get past this cursed screen.

How does that help?

Disabling the floppy controller in BIOS should get rid of that message and allow you to boot.

Ill give it a go Cele, but it seemed to me that the boot process was going straight to this screen, and didn't show any interrupt options or ways to get into setup :/ maybe it's just the time it takes for my monitor to go from standby to on.

older computers with a fast boot could do that, it wouldn't be the frist time I've seen it. If you hit f2 or whatever the BIOS key is for that system you should be able to get in before the error shows up.

"Floppy drive giving me lip".....lol I like that.

Unhooking the floppy drive will cause it to not boot right?....I can't remember, I haven't played with a pc with a floppy for quite a long time.

How does that help?

Disabling the floppy controller in BIOS should get rid of that message and allow you to boot.

Your Mom

yeah, unplugging the floppy gives the same result as turning it on without any RAM installed, beeparama.

Yep Same with me trying do disconnect my CD Drive.... BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Right, i can't seem to find a way past this message still.

this is the exact message that comes up, tell me if i'm missing something

"Award BootLock BIOS V1.0
Copright (c) 2000, Award Software, Inc.

BIOS ROM Checksum Error

Detecting floppy drive A media. . .
INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER_"

Back
Top Bottom