Mcafee

hawaii1

Solid State Member
Hi, I recently bought an Acer notebook, it came with a free sub to mcafee anti virus, that has expired, I installed a free norton version,I am getting pop ups from both of them, regarding a subscription, I thought the hell with it , see what happens, seems my computer is slowing down. Any advise would be great.
Thanks

Welcome to CF!

So, both of those are bloatware more than anything. Some people you talk to will swear by either/or but IMHO (and many others) they do more harm to your computer than good.

There's also those who go without virus protection and that's all fine and dandy as long as you're not downloading from the internet.

If you're looking to get some good free Antivirus/Internet Security Software, then here's a list of my top picks.

Comodo Internet Security Suite - Active Protection/OnAccess
avast! - Active Protection/OnAccess
AVG Free - Active Protection/OnAccess
MalwareBytes - Scan Only
HiJackThis - Scan Only

If you're looking to go without AV software, then I would at least recommend Comodo Firewall.

If your computer is slowing a little, then disable startup items and run CCleaner. (Free version is below the option to pay)

when you installed the new version did you uninstall the old version and reboot after??

Thanks guys, this may take me a while to get the hang of, preciate the help.

Yeah, think I have overlapping av protection,getting pop ups saying so, I am unsure what to do....

Uninstall both and install Avast!, AVG, or BitDefender (proprietary, but some people feel safer with paid software) Or even, MS Security Essentials if you trust MS with stuff like that.

McAfee + Norton = Worst AVs ever IMHO.

What about MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials)? Its free for Home users, and it is a little faster that its counterparts - also uses lesser RAM during scanning, plus it is from Microsoft.

honestly I havent done anything with it, my speed is tolerable, maybe its a mindset, or if it isnt broken maybe it will be after fussing with it, we will see, thanks for the input yall.

Back
Top Bottom