Hot technology

wonderboy1953

In Runtime
What do you think will be the next technology to take hold? (e.g. USB 3.0, Thunderbolt, IBM's Racetrack Technology and Chevy Volt)

I have big expectations on the Chevy Volt. I read in a magazine, I forget which, that it lives up to it's claims 100 percent.

For computers, USB 3.0 is a huge step forward, but won't be this decade's best. There's so much more that will be happening in the next few years that I have a feeling will be mind blowing.

If it can do 100's before having to recharge, why in smalll lettering does it say 25 to 50 miles per charge? That not with additional help from fuel?

with the rise in energies such as gas, hydro, etc.. I can see big leaps in power saving technologies.

And although the Volt is a big step forward, it just trading one energy(gas) for another(hydro)

There will and have been huge leaps in energy saving technology, but we won't see the more advanced stuff until the oil reserves truly dissipate. There's more money in bleeding people for gas then there is in electricity.

3.0 is just another number. Soon there will be 4, 5... and so on. I have a lot of faith in WiMax

USB 3 looks good, but its been out for a while and noone seems to be talking about it much??

I personally think 3D will take off soon. The price of 3D tvs has gone down alot recently

with the rise in energies such as gas, hydro, etc.. I can see big leaps in power saving technologies.

And although the Volt is a big step forward, it just trading one energy(gas) for another(hydro)
I agree batteries won't be the next step, but if we found a good way to store electricity, that would be what eliminates our dependence on gas. Or find an efficient way to split water into H2 and O.
The Chevy Volt is a nice car, but there are bigger and better cars coming soon from GM...

USB 3.0 has been out for quite a while now I thought? There just isn't a big use for it yet I think.

USB 3 looks good, but its been out for a while and noone seems to be talking about it much??

I personally think 3D will take off soon. The price of 3D tvs has gone down alot recently

I saw a 3DTV at Best Buy last year which I like (but out of my price range). Of course there's another tv technology called OLED. And then there's Blu Ray that enhances HDTV (VHS is practically extinct).

To ask, can you specify more precisely what you mean by the price of 3DTVs going down a lot recently?

Well 3DTV's have gone down.

VHS is practically exstinct?... It went the way of the dodo a long time ago

I saw a 3DTV at Best Buy last year which I like (but out of my price range). Of course there's another tv technology called OLED. And then there's Blu Ray that enhances HDTV (VHS is practically extinct).

To ask, can you specify more precisely what you mean by the price of 3DTVs going down a lot recently?

OLED is still impractically expensive for anything larger than a phone. You'd have to pay a small fortune for even a small TV sized one.

3D TVs are getting cheap if you look around. I saw a 42" one for $750 at Conn's during the weekend. 3D is still just a gimmick though, and will remain as such until more manufacturers switch to passive polarized 3D. The active type just costs far too much ($150/pair for the glasses last time I checked) and causes horrible eyestrain for some people (me included) as well as crosstalk ("ghosting") on LCDs due to the poor response times. Also, there is very little 3D programming available. Broadcasts are very rare and limited to high profile sporting events, and the 3D blu ray format is incredibly expensive and dominated by children's movies. I have a 3D computer monitor (the passive polarized type) and I have to say that the effect is definitely amazing, but only works in certain situations. For example, watching a nature documentary in 3D is beyond awesome. The scenes are almost always incredibly well shot and they usually make things look more realistic. However, sports and most non-animated movies gain nothing. People tend to look like cardboard cutouts and indoor scenes usually have either exaggerated depth or look squished.

Back
Top Bottom