Dual Core CPU Question

TholomewP

Solid State Member
My computer has a crap cpu, an Intel Pentium 4. It's dual core, and it lags when I play newer games like Starcraft 2 and Crysis 2 demo. I recently looked into an Alienware m11x gaming laptop, and saw that it also contained a dual core processor, but it could run new games fine. Is the problem with the amount of cores it has, or just my dual core sucks, and a newer dual core would serve me just fine? Thanks!

This is prob as your processor is a pentium 4 and the alien ware is a core 2 duo. different architectures I believe. Also the new processor may be ranked pretty high in the core 2 duo ratings. Another thing to consider are the speeds of the processor.

For example its like saying "are the I3 processors the same as a core 2 duo's", the answer is no. Although the speed may be the same the architecture is different.

Is it a Laptop your using now ?

in that case i would upgrade. get a motherboard that can support a quad core CPU and get some decent RAM and a decent graphics card. obviously depending on your budget will depend on what you can afford.

These are my recommendations :

CPU : Q8400
Power Supply : Corsiar 500W +
Motherboard : one that has at least 1066 FSB , DDR2/3, 775 CPU socket that can support quad core CPU's and at least one PCIE slot
Graphics card : GTX 460 1GB

This spec will run any game out so far on PC, on the best graphics settings. however it dont have to be this high end to still run games well. this is just my recommendation.

Back
Top Bottom