HP A1640n upgrade

jlockleg

Beta member
I am wondering if there are some things to do to upgrade my HP a1640n to get a few more years out of it or just get a new computer. I upgraded to 4gb of memory so far. I do understand that I can put in up to the Intel E6700 on the stock motherboard. How much difference would that make? Should I upgrade the motherboard? Is it all cost effective for a few more years? Trying to keep costs down too.

Is this your pc spec ?
HP Pavilion Media Center a1640n Desktop PC Product Specifications HP Pavilion Media Center a1640n Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

And yes if the above is your pc spec you could upgrade to the E6700 at 2.66 GHz. it will give your a slight speed performance of 800MHz. does you RAM match the max FSB speed of your motherboard of 1066MHz ? I personally dont think an upgrade would be worth it just for gaining an extra 800MHz. You could overclock your current processor if you want a little more speed.

I would personally get myself a new motherboard that supports a quad core processor or even if you want to push the boat out, a i3/5/7 board. and then get a nice quad core such as the Q8400.

Hope this helps.

Yes, that's my PC spec.

I appreciate your advice. I think I will go with a new motherboard and looking at the Q8400, I think i would be more than happy with it. Any suggestions on an inexpensive site to pick up the board and processor? Although it would be sweet to get a i3/5/7 board, but I think that would be too far out of my price range. Any other advice you got, i would really appreciate. Thanks!

If you want to up to an i3/i5, you'll need to buy new RAM as well. I'd watch out for the case design. I've swapped boards and I had to play a lot in an Acer system, so I would imagine with you, it would be the same!

Back
Top Bottom