Hardware speed - software

wonderboy1953

In Runtime
What effect can the hardware speed have on how well the software works?

Let's say hypothetically you have a Core i7 computer with software that's made for that computer. As we know there are different Core i7 computers (e.g. 920, 980x and 990x) that run at various speeds. Would a slower Core i7 computer affect how efficiently the software works (whatever the software happens to be)?

Secondary question. What other factors can affect the running of the software?

Software isn't designed for a specific processor in the manner of which you speak. There are applications out there that fare better on one ARCHITECTURE vs the processor speed (Architecture in this case would be comparing Intel to AMD's CPUs, or nVidia GPUs to ATI/AMD, etc).

Just buy the fastest PC Processor and the most RAM you can afford and your system will likely do 98% of what you ask it to do. Unless you have identical systems next to each other, or one system from one vendor and another from the other, you'll likely never notice any significant difference.

Software isn't designed for a specific processor in the manner of which you speak. There are applications out there that fare better on one ARCHITECTURE vs the processor speed (Architecture in this case would be comparing Intel to AMD's CPUs, or nVidia GPUs to ATI/AMD, etc).

Just buy the fastest PC Processor and the most RAM you can afford and your system will likely do 98% of what you ask it to do. Unless you have identical systems next to each other, or one system from one vendor and another from the other, you'll likely never notice any significant difference.

Thank you for your response.

I plan on getting a USB 3.0 computer next year (unless something dramatic happens
with Thunderbolt). Considering a Core i7-990X. Until then I'll just relax and wait.

I wouldn't even consider the 990X to be honest. the new Sandy Bridge CPUs can out perform the 990X in some cases right now, and you can buy them for a hell of a lot less.

I wouldn't even consider the 990X to be honest. the new Sandy Bridge CPUs can out perform the 990X in some cases right now, and you can buy them for a hell of a lot less.

Do you think you'd feel the same way about it next year?

Back
Top Bottom