Need HELP cant decide on what to get !!!! HIGH end PC

niiko101

In Runtime
hey everyone, iv been really keen to build a new comp for the past couple of months now.

I mainly play games so thats what i want to build, A gaming PC.

i have been tossing it up between LGA 1366 and LGA 1155.

First we will start with LGA 1366.

this is the hardware im looking at.

CoolerMaster HAF X nVidia Edition

Corsair CMP12GX3M3A1600C9 12GB (3x4GB) Dominator ( with cooling fan )

Gigabyte G1-Sniper

Intel Core i7 970

2x MSI GeForce GTX 570 Twin Frozr II OC ( SLI )

And all the other little bits

Now LGA 1155

CoolerMaster HAF X nVidia Edition

Kingston HyperX T1 KHX2133C9AD3T1FK4/8GX (4x2GB) DDR3

Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7-B3 Motherboard

Intel Core i7 2600K

2x MSI GeForce GTX 570 Twin Frozr II OC ( SLI )

And so on......

I need help, i have been checking forums and no one really comes to a conclusion, i dont like to mod so much, i rather do everything right the first time so can someone please help me to choose what will be best for me

Theres not going to be a huge amount of difference... The first would probably give you better performance, but not by huge leaps and bounds..
Im guessing the second rig is slightly cheaper though? Depending on how much cheaper, you yourself would have to justify if the extra money you would pay to get the first rig, would validate the little bit of extra performance you would recieve.

(Basically if you are extremelly avid gamer, or dont care how much money / the money difference between the 2)

But yeah, the first system probably better at stock stats. Overclocking again could give you more advantage in one rig over the other, but both are gonna handle everything you throw at them regardless.

I want to do some overclocking on it, which one is best. These is alot of stroys im reading about that the LGA 1366 and the x58 chipset cant compete with the Gen 2 CPUs and p67 chipset. ( only 1366 EXTREME series ) whats the max that someone OC a i7 970 up to ? and what where the specs ?

bassically im building it up with everything monitor, keyboard, mouse, hdd's, ect ect... im looking to spend about $4500 AUD and they both fall under that.
I want to build a computer that is going to be future proof for the next 10 years or so.

also if anyone knows any good sites that custom build computers to your specs in Australia please let me know.

Sorry for slow reply - been busy!

If you are happy with overclocking / looking to do some, I would probably go with the 2nd rig, the i7K processor. However, If you are going for that, then I would probably take a step down again and go for the i5 2500K processor. From what I have read, it overclocks really well. Put the extra money towards a nice MOBO (or just pocket it :D )

Heres a review of the i5:

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge CPU | Intel Core i5-2500K,BX80623I52500K,Review,Sandy Bridge,CPU,LGA-1155,Processor,Benchmark,Performance,Hank Tolman,Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge CPU LGA-1155 Desktop Processor Benchmark Performance Review by Han

And in particular, heres the benchmark tests vs the other CPUS, which might make your decision easier if you are stuck:

The Sandy Bridge Review: Intel Core i7-2600K, i5-2500K and Core i3-2100 Tested - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Not sure when the benches were done, but didnt think the i5 held up as well as that in gaming! Anyway hope that helps.

thanks man you have been a big help towards me making up my mind, i have been watching reviews and reading non stop about the 2 cpus i listed and i think i am going to go sandybridge i might just wait another month or 2 for new mobo's to come out i was reading up about a EVGA P67 SLI board coming out soon might just grab that one, but thanks again massive help

Yeah just beware the MOBO issue with the sandybridges. There has been trouble with the ports on them (MOBO'S) and could potentially effect certain drives down the line after a few years use.
They are currently sorting it out (for the past few weeks) and I think most brands (ASUS, GIGABYTE etc) were reporting around early April till the fixes come in. This is just off the top of my head again, so double check that if you are looking at the newer P67 (or H67) boards, that compliment the i5k / i7k, and make sure you get a guarantee or something / speak to someone there end / look for info on their websites to gain insight on it.

yeah i live in australia they have already fixed and replaced them here ( well Gigabyte, Asus & ASrock have ) At the end of each model number should say B3, Comes under the new Intel stepping 6 series chipset & and im pretty sure they updated the BIOS as well

Sounds like you have got it sorted.
Cant really help you regarding the Australia ordering / system building online things over there.
I'm a brit, and all I would be doing is searching the internet and giving you the options it gave me, which I'd have no first hand experience in using, so couldnt say wether or not they were good or bad sites. Best of luck.

i think im just going to go with the Gigabyte UD7 best for overclocking, only board that allows you to acctually turn off all the turbo boost and speed stepping and other things like that and actually overclock the cpu without having to max out the cpu before you overclocking kicks in, also it has a NF200 built in so it actually run 2 GPU's at PCie x16 which is a big plus in my book.
Ill just use the extra that im not going to spend on the first rig on a bigfoot killer K1 network card :) thanks for all your help

Back
Top Bottom