Network attacks protection?

CFu

Baseband Member
Hello,

I would like to know if one can protect himself from 'network attacks' by using Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 (=av+fw) while being on Windows 7 Home Premium.

Does having a software firewall fend off these network attacks? Does it give you that guarantee, or will the attacks keep coming? Is it better to buy a router and will the router block those network attacks and keep you safe from them?
Essentially my colleague keeps getting network attacks and he is on a cable connection (coax). His UTP cable goes straight from his modem to his NIC port. So, there is a direct connection between the modem and his PC.

I would like to know how to help him blocking these attacks.

Thank you

Software firewalls are a great start, but nothing is ever guaranteed in the world of computers, particularly in security. Personally, I find the extra security of a hardware firewall that is built into almost every router to be a great extra line of detection that can make it appear that there are not even any computers connected to the line. I'd suggest for your college to get a router, even if he only plans on having one computer, just to have that extra layer.

I concur.. A hardware firewall is preferable to a software firewall for many reasons. I have a dedicated firewall appliance between my home network and the internet. It is probed on a regular basis, but that's as far as anyone gets.

Back
Top Bottom