Laptop Beeping like anything

KevinG1

Baseband Member
When I turned on a friends laptop it started beeping just after that "Windows Starting" image pops up in Windows 7.
This beep is not like a normal beep that will match any of the beep codes. This is 1 beep that goes for many minutes or until the computer is restarted (and then the same happens after the restart). You finally get to login after restarting heaps of times, if you are lucky.

What can be done to solve this? I don't think this will be a memory error. However, I did a memory diagnostic and there were no problems displayed.

This is a Asus laptop with about 4 GB RAM Windows 7 - 32 Bit and maybe just a year old.

Strange. I know that the computer beeps if the keys are held down. Make sure that none are stuck down.

Also try removing the Ram and clean the connectors, and re seat, if this continues remove all ram apart from one and test that, remove that and then do the same with the other one to see if it may be a bad Ram module.

The only other option I can think of is to do a system restore and if that don't work do a recovery. Never know, it may be a software error.

So, if the problem that relates to the stuck key then it should just automatically type the letter out over and over again i.e. If the user opens a notepad / MS Word..

Probably, yes.
However, a stuck key doesnt have to be a letter, it could be the 'Shift Key' or 'Alt' Key or something similar, and not actually perform a function on its own.

Obviously test it on a notepad / word doc first. Try cleaning your keyboard if you can, running a dry cloth over the keyboard a few times. Then turn it on, and if its still bleeping run the cloth over all the keys again a few times (with a bit of vigour) see if the bleeping stops, or pauses briefly.

Back
Top Bottom