Too slow for Win 7?

strykr14

Baseband Member
Hello everyone,

Well I've decided to get a new PC so the kids will get my old desktop. It a P4 (Gateway). The question I have is that I had I tried installing Win 7 on it (32 bit version, as an upgrade to XP) and it installed but the internet was real slow for some reason. so I uninstalled it. It's killing me that I have this copy of Win 7 lying around.

Is it to old/slow for Win 7? Needs more ram?

Here are the specs
Pentium 4 3.2 mghtz
2 GB Ram
200 GB Hard drive
Invidia GForce 7800 Video card (256, I think)

Thanks!

If I was you I would install windows 7 like you did but just kill the interface totally. Put it to windows 7 basic and change the appearance so that there are no for example shadows under the icons and cursor. You can do this by changing the settings in the performance window. And you could also kill the sidebar etc.

firstly.
no, it's not too old for windows 7.
My old work laptop was running windows 7 just fine, that was a 1.8Ghz CPU with 1.5GB RAM. (before it broke [physically broke that is])

Secondly, what do you mean "the internet is slow"
slow on some sites, slow to load certain pages? slow to play you tube videos?
what browser are you using what version etc? do you have latest updates installed, (for windows, and the browser and any addins such as flash).

I was running Explorer version 8. I had just installed XP but I did not run any of the updates (the 800 security updates, Service pack 2&3) because I was under the understanding that the Win 7 upgrade detects XP and deletes it as it installs.

Computer seemsed to run OK, programs loaded, everything seemed fine except the internet. It was slow to load and slow to go from page to page.

I ask because I have to reinstall XP again I think (I had reinstalled it after my win 7 experiment). When I turn on the computer now my Icons wont show up on the desktop - until the 3rd or fourth reboot. So I was thinking of retrying win 7 again.

Personally. I think that the hardware, (processor/ram) is up to the job.

If you found that I.e 8 was slow, perhaps you should try fire fox, or Chrome.

If I bumped up the RAM to 4 GB, would my PC use it all? The motherboard can handle it (that's its max) but can my 32 bit OS handle it?

Yes 32bit can handle no more than 4GB. actuall used memory would be about 3.5 GB. Id add 2GB RAM and install windows 7, kill the interface (meaning choose the appearance option "basic" that keeps things exactly that e.g no sliding or transparent windows) and install and use google chrome or firefox.

Back
Top Bottom