Dell XPS 720

chrisf-1

Baseband Member
Hi everyone please offer some help or advice here, I for my sins am the owner of a Dell XPS 720 that recently refused to boot and a clicking noise from the PSU I found that it had a 750w PSU and was advised to upgrade to 1kw which I have done and find that even the new 1kw PSU clicked like the old one by which time I gave it to a computer repair firm who are now telling me the fault is from the motherboard and Dell want £300.00 for a refurbed one has anyone got a known good motherboard or a sensible alternative as I am up to my neck and sinking fast please offer me a reasonable alternative someone, also while looking on the Bay of E I found a motherboard supposedly for a XPS 720 but it was red and mine was green also mine had 4 memory ram slots and the red one looks like it only has 2 and as I have 8gb of ram 4 x 2gb I have a feeling I am heading for trouble someone throw me a lifeline please Chris

Hmmm, after some research it seems that it's a BTX motherboard so there's not really many around - If you do manage to find one, the chances of it measuring up to the connectors on your case is very unlikely since it's Dell.

However, there is currently one going on ebay: DELL XPS 720 GAMING PC MOTHERBOARD on eBay (end time 20-Feb-11 20:56:53 GMT)
OR there is a case & motherboard going here: DELL Studio XPS 720 Gaming Pc Case and Motherboard on eBay (end time 20-Feb-11 13:56:13 GMT)

I hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply and I am currently bidding on the motherboard on ebay so I will have to see what happens as the man says it is good but will not warranty it Chris

Hi again I thought it might be worth asking if anyone knows where I could get my motherboard repaired thanks again Chris

Hi again everyone this is to inform you that my computer is now up and running after replacing both the PSU and the mother board which is a second user one from eBay which was identical to my original one I only have one slight problem that I would like to cure if possible and that is my service tag has disappeared is there anyway I can reinstall my original service tag because if I ever wish to upgrade or do anything using dell they always demand the device service tag and also if I ever decided to sell it that is the first thing any potential customer will ask for and although I have it on record that in Dell's eyes makes it a unit that has been messed about with and they politely tell you they cannot help, any help greatly appreciated Chris. Oh and by the way if anyone is interested I have a spare 750w Dell PSU with harness for sale Chris

The service tag on Dells are tied to the motherboard. If you have the original information you had when you bought the system, that's all you need. The service tag has no software driven basis (other than using the Dell autodetect feature on their support site, or when giving it to a technician on the phone) so it's not a big deal.

Also, why in the world do you need a 1k power supply?

The reason I kept 1kw PSU is that more to spare has to be better!!! and as it was fitted before we found out the problem was motherboard we left it in, and Dell must have a reason for calling it an upgrade apparently they are known to fail, but mine is good I hope it will get someone out of trouble rather than sit on my shelf Chris

Back
Top Bottom