Picked up an old Pentium with MMX @ 166mhz... Problems.

Grunteh

Beta member
So I was at work and I found an old HP Vectra 515. It didn't have a processor, but I found another Pentium-Based work station that wouldn't boot and took the cpu out. I put the processor into the Vectra, and it had a RAM post error. 2 of the 6 sticks were bad so now it's left with 32MB/16kb of Ram. Now, the problem is, the BIOS isn't detecting a hard drive. I've tried a WD 20GB (Doubted it would work anyway) and a Quantum Bigfoot 2.5gb. Neither of them are detected in the BIOS or Windows 95 Setup. Any ideas? Also I checked the Jumpers. I'm not that big of an idiot.

yeah, do u know if the hard-drives acually work? In the BIOS have you set the IDE settings, I think you need to set the IDE detect to auto if I remember correctly

On a system that old, yup, you're going to have to set everything up yourself if the mobo doesn't have the autodetect feature we now take for granted. Just get the LBA, sector count, etc information from the drive label, then use a custom drive setup in the BIOS. Once you set it up correctly, it should recognize the drive.

Nope, it had an auto-detect built in. Very snazzy BIOS, I must say.

Anyway, come to find out one of the controllers is dead /sadface. I finally got it to boot with the Quantum and a CD-Rom on the second controller. The sticks of RAM which I thought were dead weren't actually dead. Threw those in and now I have 95mb. The Bigfoot had 98 installed, I'm about to install 2000 on it. Anyway, I might snag some pictures if anyone is interested.

Well, see if you can find an old IDE controller in PCI formfactor. There are even some out there that will support CDROM drives if you wanted to keep the Hard drive on the motherboard.

And yes, post pictures! I had many happy moments with the old P133 & 166's

Back
Top Bottom