Erase Temp. Files on Shut Down

tocool4muffins

Solid State Member
I'm currently using a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit operating system. I'm pretty good with hardware, but my software knowledge is a bit weak. I would just like to know how I can set-up my computer to erase temporary files when it shuts down or reboot, rather than mainly type the folder out in the run command and manually delete them.

Please and thanks! :)

While this doesn't preform the action on shut-down you can schedule disk cleanup to run regularly:

Open Task Scheduler by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Task Scheduler.* If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the Action menu, and then click Create Basic Task.

This opens the Create Basic Task Wizard.

Type a name for the task and an optional description, and then click Next.

To select a schedule based on the calendar, click Daily, Weekly, Monthly, or One time, and then click Next.

Specify the schedule you want to use, and then click Next.

Click Start a program, and then click Next.

Click Browse, type cleanmgr.exe in the File name box, click Open, and then click Next.

Click Finish.

/via Schedule Disk Cleanup to run regularly

Also a few people prefer http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,83439-order,4/description.html

Smart Auto Shutdown automatically shuts down your computer and cleans up unneeded temporary files ahead of time, along with traces of your Internet use.

--Derek
Peterman Computers | Locally Owned and Operated Computer Repair Company Serving South Central PA.

you can create a batch file which wil run at system shutdown,

Create the batch file and put del *.tmp /a /s /f /q or what ever you want in it

click start > run > type gpedit.msc hit enter. Click on Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Scripts > Shutdown then add your batch file here.

Thank you very much! That was incredibly helpful as well! I'll set it up when I get back to my apartment and let you know how it goes

when i get to the second half of the instructions, it tells me that gpedit.msc is not found in the run prompt. Is it possible to find it another way?

Back
Top Bottom