memory slots

d_romprey

Baseband Member
Sony Vaio desktop....VGCRB52....has an Intel D945ppr motherboard and a pentium D....OK question is , looking at specs they say that there is a 2 gig max and that it has (two) slots for memory. BUT IT DOESN'T there are 4 slots . The current config has 1 gig as (2) 512 cards. and two empty slots. What IS odd is that there are 2 blue slots and two black slots .not seperated by color though. there is a blue and black slot and a space and another blue and black slot. The current memory is utilizing only the two blues....What should I do....thanks DAN

I found my answers with the Crucial memory sight. To achieve the 2 gig max I need to use all four slots. The slots have a max of 512MB so I'm glad I looked into it further because I was very close to buying (2) 1gig cards and replacing the existing. I also found that I can use a bit faster memory than what is in there.It has 533mhz I can upgrade to 667mhz,4200 to 5300. I can mix the two grades keeping them in the proper slots. IF any of this sounds BOGUS to any of you please let me know.....THANKS

While you can mix the two. It is not wise.

I do believe the 667MHZ would run at the 533MHZ or the lower of the two..so that would be a waste. Your best bet, and probably cheaper (you would have to look into it) would be buy the 667MHZ singles rather than a set.

They recommend sets for better performance . From what I was led to understand in my research was that it's ok to mix as long as the two blue slots match and the two black slots match. I found some reasonably priced pairs so I don't think I will get hurt if it were to not work as they say. Thank you for your hep.

I have VAIO VGC-RB52 also with the Intel Pentium D 820 2.8GHz and Intel 945G chipset. There are 4 memory slots and was wondering if it is capable of 4GB of ram on the board. I have Windows 7 64-bit on it and want to have the most ram possible, but I'm not sure if Sony limited the board to only 2GB ram. Thanks!

Hi , I have found that my model YEAR, I could be dofferaent if they make a newer machine with the same model number, which I doubt, has a 2 gig max. Also this needs to be done using 4 - 512mb cards . You can't use 1 gig cards. hOPE i HELPED

I was able to borrow some ram from my friend and the board can use up to 3.2GB of ram max, so it can use 4x1GB or 2x2GB ram chips for the best performance. I used 2x2GB pc2-6400 ram to test it running on Windows 7 64-bit.

Do you have an Intell mboard? That sounds odd to me . you say it can take 3.2 GB . Why an odd amount ? It could be telling you that because it doesn't know how toy deal with the extra amount. I wonder how staBLE THAT WILL WORK OUT WHEN PUT TO EVERY DAY use. I am going to look into it though. Thanks

I have 4GB of RAM in my computer, which has an Intel 945G Motherboard and a Pentium D processor. The specifications say it should max out at 2GB of RAM, however after installing 2x2GB memory sticks, the computer uses all 4.

In a lot of instances, it depends on the chipset. If you have a 64-Bit operating system, but only 3.2GB show up, this means your chipset is x86 based only, and can't handle more than 3.2GB of memory, however, your computer may still be able to use all 4GB, you just won't notice, in say, task manager. If you have a x86 operating system, but have 4GB of RAM installed, it may also readout at 3.2, but if you have any more than 2GB of RAM, you really need to consider upgrading to a x64 operating system.

You CAN mix different speeds of RAM, I.E. 533mhz and 667mhz, however the 667mhz will run at 533mhz. It is true that you have to keep the 533 and 667 in matching slots for more stability, but the motherboard will downclock the faster of the two. It is also somewhat true about using a set instead of buying individual stick, but it is not necessary. Any change in performance would be negligible.

Do you have an Intell mboard? That sounds odd to me . you say it can take 3.2 GB . Why an odd amount ? It could be telling you that because it doesn't know how toy deal with the extra amount. I wonder how staBLE THAT WILL WORK OUT WHEN PUT TO EVERY DAY use. I am going to look into it though. Thanks

Well the mobo wasn't meant for more than 2gb(512mbx4), but windows will still be able to use up to 3.2GB Max. This was the same with my 2007 macbook with the intel 945 mobo and 950gma graphics. It is stable because i've used 3GB on my macbook since i bought it new.

Back
Top Bottom