Software Issue

Boatguy

Beta member
This is my first time to this site, so I hope I'm in the right place.

My system is a Dell XPS 400 and I'm running Microsoft XP Home Edition.

Problem: I tried to install an ACT 2007 (9.0) software and during the process of install a prompt came up stating “Microsoft Server 2005 Setup encountered a problem”. When the prompt came up I elected to continue with the install. At the end of the install, I was directed to register the product. During the registration another prompt came up. “The registration process has detected that Microsoft SQL 2005 Standard Edition is installed, but the current serial number prevents access. Uninstall Microsoft Server 2005 Standard and use disk 1 to reinstall ACT”.

I went to the Internet to learn how to uninstall Microsoft SQL 2005. The instructions told me to go to Add or Remove Programs and select Microsoft SQL 2005. This program is not available.

I'm at a loss. If you couldn't already tell, I barely know my way around the computer. I can get by, but if you have any advice for me you will need to be very clear. I appreciate any help you could offer.

Welcome to the site!

First, uninstall ACT 2007 from the Add/Remove programs Window.

Next, completely turn off your computer and unplug it to get everything out of RAM.

After about a minute, plug the computer back in and turn it back on.

Download and install CCleaner (Free edition is the links below the Buy table) and run the registry cleaner. Continue to run the registry cleaner until no problems are any longer detected.
- When prompted to make a backup of your registry, go ahead and do so each time. After making a backup, click "Fix All Selected"

Now turn off the computer once more and boot back up (no need to unplug).

Download and install Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition. (Third download down)

Now install ACT 2007 again and see if that works.

Thank you for your response. In respect to CCleaner, were you referring to these links? Version 3.04.1389 (2,962 kb)
- Download from FileHippo.com
- Download from Piriform.com

Because after going to these links I found what I thought was the CCleaner and after running the program and finding roughly 1400 problems with my computer, the software would not allow me to solve the problems without paying for the software.

As I stated before, I'm somewhat challenged when it comes to this stuff. I thought I was doing pretty well up until this point. Thank you for your assistance, but if you had the time to redirect me to the correct download to ensure I'm not paying for a software that could be provided for free, I would greatly appreciate it.

After you download the file, it is CCleaner correct? (I ask because on the download page from FileHippo, there's a couple misleading downloads on the site). The file should be ccsetup304.exe.

nevermind, can't put a pic up...

But yes, one of those two links should work. Forget that, I just tried the hippo one. thats not it, click the Piriform. thats the free one.

I just clicked the link straight from his post and got CCleaner...

Edit: Here's a direct download link for CCleaner

While installing the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition in encountered a problem. Under the Product Column MSXML6, states setup failed.
Also under the Product Column SQL Server Database Services, states setup failed. Both say to refer to setup log for details.

This is the log. As stated before, I may be over my head. I have no idea what any of this means or how to fix it.

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 9.00.2170.00
==============================
OS Version : Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
Time : Tue Mar 01 19:49:42 2011

Machine : KEN
Product : Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English)
Product Version : 9.00.1399.06
Install : Successful
Log File : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_KEN_SQLSupport_1.log
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product : Microsoft SQL Server Native Client
Product Version : 9.00.2047.00
Log File : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_KEN_SQLNCLI_1.log
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product : Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer
Product Version : 9.00.2047.00
Log File : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_KEN_SqlWriter_1.log
Product : MSXML 6 Service Pack 2 (KB973686)
Product Version : 6.20.2003.0
Install : Failed
Log File : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_KEN_MSXML6_1.log
Error Number : 1603

From the Microsoft Site:SQL Server 2005 setup fails when MSXML Core Services 6.0 Service Pack 2 has already been installed

Cause:When SQL Server Setup tries to install MSXML 6.0 SP2, it detects that the version of MSXML 6.0 that is described in Knowledge Base article 954459 is already installed on the computer. Therefore, the validation process indicates that the current version of MSXML 6.0 should not be replaced. This stops the installation of both MSXML 6.0 and SQL Server 2005.

Resolution:To resolve this issue, obtain the latest service pack for SQL Server 2005.

For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
913089 How to obtain the latest service pack for SQL Server 2005

Back
Top Bottom