Problem pulling data from sata hdd with operating system on it.

jayc1985

Beta member
Hey everyone,

I have a problem that's driving me crazy. I have a faulty Sata drive with vista on it that i'm trying to recover some data from. I have a new sata with windows 7 on it that i'm using. I was hoping to just plug in the vista drive and have it act similar to a slave and just pull the data out. When i try this my pc doesnt want to load and says hardware changes have caused a problem. How would you guys go about getting the data off. any help would be much appreciated.

Hp Pavilion windows 7 home premium AMD phenom 64

It sounds like the controller for the drive, or some other component on the drive is hosed. You can try booting the system up to another OS like Linux and see if it won't puke on you like that, but from the sounds of it, it's gone. :(

maybe try downloading hirens boot CD, This has a live OS (Like Windows XP) that you can boot to and hopefully recover the data

maybe try downloading hirens boot CD, This has a live OS (Like Windows XP) that you can boot to and hopefully recover the data

But dont the Hirens boot CD only allow you to only use Win XP? I tried it with Win 7 and it wouldn't let me make it.

Back
Top Bottom