BSOD on install

KynKayd

Solid State Member
I get to the point where it's installing the drivers and stuff window's, then it locks up and freezes and goes to a physical memory dump, I just replaced the motherboard and processor. any ideas what could be causing the problemes? I already reset the ram, and video card, and made sure all the connections were good. if yall can think of anything else please let Me know. thanks in advance.

BSOD on install is typical hardwere fail.
that could be the ram the HDD or the motherboard.

it is not the cd or cd-drive. (will that would be an WTF moment if it is)
if that was the case it will not bsod, it will say that it cant copy some file.

it can't be the cpu or gpu. if cpu error the computer will not start at all. if gpu error you will not see anything at all.

the reason for that it is typical hardware failure is that there is no softwere on it yet except ROM software and the installation of the windows that is in installing progress.

try to check the HDD for errors with a bootable testing software. (google it)
try to take out one stick of ram.
try to take out the other stik of ram and replace it with the allready taken out ram.
try a ram checkning software. like memtest (else google it)

it can't be the cpu or gpu. if cpu error the computer will not start at all. if gpu error you will not see anything at all.

Not always true. I've seen a bad q6600 cause keyboard controller initialization errors on boot-up, but only on a restart where the computer was on for 10 minutes or more and if some of the video card's RAM is bad it will still display but crash, artificat or go corrupt at some point but you'd still get something out on the monitors.

Let's start with basics here and work up. Take everything out of the case. Re-seat the processor and re-do the thermal compound. While the CPU is out, double check that there are no bent pins on the motherboard. Then with One stick of RAM, try reinstalling windows with the board out of the case. Use on-board video if your motherboard has it. If you still get errors, try swapping RAM and RAM slots. If none of that works either the board, or the CPU are bad. Experience would tell me it's the board.

seems like it might of been the ram, I got the o/s installed using just one stick, now I'm trying to figure out which stick or sticks are bad, using mem test on it now and running, appreciate the help yall are a life saver, I was pullin out My hair tryin to figure it out!

well some more bad news, appearantly it isn't just the ram, might be the PSU as well, as after I got the windows installed, got the BSOD again, then when it went to reboot, none of the fans on the case powered up, and the video went bye bye as well, so I'm at a loss of words, I knew I should of just started from stratch then reuse parts from the old build *kicks self in butt* any ideas on what could be causing the new problem please do let Me know.

Have you looked at CPU temps? You just replaced the motherboard and CPU, so it's possible you might not be getting a good contact between the HSF & CPU. Also, don't overclock, and use the default settings (Load Default Settings or Load Optimized Defaults) in the BIOS. If the BSODs still occur and you've made sure your CPU temps aren't too high (60*C as a rule is too high for a load temp, keeping it under 50*C at idle is also good practice.)

cpu temp is below 60 I think it was reading at 49*C last night while I was in bios maybe a little lower. there is good contact between the HSF & CPU I double checked that, and I'm not an overclocker at all, it's at the default/ optimized settings. so I'm really at a lost for words.

Which CPU is it? If you've tested the RAM and that turned out ok, it could very well be the processor.

Google GWSCAN and download & burn that, test your hard drive(s) with that program as well to rule them out.

Back
Top Bottom