Problem with Internet connectivity

deathgleaner

Solid State Member
I am using a Windows 7 computer (Toshiba Satellite laptop). Apparently it has something called the "Realtek PCIe FE Family controller" that lets me connect to the Nets via Wi-Fi. This tool or utility works fine on most occations. However...

Sometimes, when I put my computer to sleep and turn it back on again, I find the Realtek thing not working, and therefore, I cannot connect to the Internet via wireless.

I've tried:

-Turning off and turning back on the Wi-Fi switch (and done this a number of ways)
-Clicking repair

Does anyone have a solution to this annoying problem?

bump!

and update: Might not be a problem with the "Realtek" thing. I go in the tray and when I click the wireless icon it says "No connections are available", and yet my antenna is turned on!

Whose wifi are you tapping into? It may be that the wifi source is dropping off; it happens in my network regularly.

Whose wifi are you tapping into? It may be that the wifi source is dropping off; it happens in my network regularly.

I'm tapping into my own, which is always on...?

It's definitely not a problem with the router. In my neighborhood, there's at least 10 wireless signals that I get on my laptop, but sometimes, when I wake it from sleep mode, it says "no connections are available" and some other software tells me that the wireless is turned off EVEN THOUGH IT'S FRICKIN TURNED ON.

[/end rage]

The Realtek family controller is just a control chip not the wireless it self. Get this scanner CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting and click on the globe icon to find out what wireless set up you have under the hood. As for it not connecting back up when you wake it up could be a win 7 issue.
However let's find out what wireless you have then go from there.

Here's the details (when my laptop IS able to connect to the Internet);

Network, yes
Internet Connection, yes
RAS Connection, no
Passport.Net, no
Winsock 32, v.2.02
Network Connection, Wireless Network Connection
Network Connection, Local Area Connection
Network Connection, Wireless Network Connection 2
Server IIS, No
Network Card, Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11bg 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter
Network Card, Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Internet Router, WRT160N
Share, 6 Resources
Local Network, 1 Network Computer
Local Group, 9.

Are you using a third party tool to connect to the router, or are you using the standard windows connectivity tool.

Click Start > Right click on Computer > Properties.

Left panel > Device Manager

Under Network Adapter, Right click on Realtek RTL8187B (...) and go to Properties

On the Power Management tab, uncheck everything.

Back
Top Bottom