Windows XP Folder Permissions

dmarciano

Baseband Member
I'm trying to setup permissions on specific folders so that they cannot be deleted. So I created a folder on my desktop called "New Folder". I went into the Security tab of the folder's properties. The only group/user name is my account. I go into the advanced settings and for the permissions I allow everything except "Delete". For the "Delete" option I check the deny check box. I have also set the "Apply onto" drop down to "This folder, subfolders and files". However I'm still able to delete the folder with these settings.

However if I create a sub-folder and also check Deny for "Delete Subfolders and Files" I cannot delete the main folder because the sub-folder is not allowed to be deleted.

So what combination of settings do I need to set so I can prevent a specific folder from being deleted. I know if I deny the write permissions and a few other then I can prevent the folder from being deleted, the problem is that the folder needs to allow files and folder to be created, and allow the files to be modified without the folder being deleted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...I've been working on this for 2 days and can't figure this out. Thanks in advanced.

Back
Top Bottom