24 gigs RAM dual channel on an X58 triple channel board with i7 950

sylva

Beta member
Will this memory work? In am thinking that 24 is divisible with 3 so dual channel will be interpreted as 4 gigs (each stick) x 2 x 3 (number of slots) in the MoBo's 6 memory slots.

Thanks, S.

ok... what you are saying is that you want to have 24 gigs with dualchannel SETS of ram. so you want to buy 3 packs of 2 sets ram modules with 4 gigs in each...
YES it will work. but why not just buy 2 sets og triple channel memory with 4 gigs in each?

Thanks EchoNatek.

Right, and simply because dual channel is less expensive, sometimes much less so. I am not necessarily looking for inexpensive products, but at this moment, as far as I am concerned, every dollar counts, my high-end needs not withstanding. Currently, I have an 8 Gig/Phenom 940 computer built 3 years ago. Though back then 8 gigs may have looked opulent, since that time new software that I use has come out needing much more memory in order to be effectively used. This is why the i7 950/24 gigs. I can reuse all of the other parts in the computer, save the MoBo, processor and memory. The contents of the old computer will end up in another box that contains an 8 year old computer. In this way, I can setup a network in which the workstation contains the new parts and a repository slave will contain data. Thank again, S.

Back
Top Bottom