Building a computer for the first time

IknowLITTLE

In Runtime
Hi,

Im currently playing a 3 year old laptop and am sick of trying to play games on it. so i need an upgrade. i was looking to make a computer for about 500$ and am pretty sure this should work. i just have a few questions. for one, i want to be able to play World Of Warcraft at 60fps on GOOD graphics quality. and second, i recognized when choosing a hard drive their was a "catche" i wasnt sure what that was and what the difference between 32mb and 16mb was. obviously 32 is bigger but if i spend an extra 40$ whats that going to do for me. here are the parts i was looking at.

Case/power supply-- Newegg.com - LIAN LI Lancool PC-K58W Black 0.8 mm SECC, Plastic + Mesh ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Proccesor-- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103817

motherboard-- Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TA790GXB3 AM3 AMD 790GX ATX AMD Motherboard

RAM-- The motherboard i choose has 4 slots so im looking for the cheapest way to 4GB

Hard Drive-- Newegg.com - HITACHI HDS721050CLA362 (0F10381) 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Final questions. is the graphics card on that motherboard "good" or is it bad, because i was on newegg and noticed all the motherboards with built in graphics cards had that one. And also i was curious to know how the whole putting a dvd drive went and how to plug it into the motherboard or even if it goes in a motherboard. anyway thanks for your time. and remember IM A COMPLETE NOOB. dont hate.

i want to be able to play World Of Warcraft at 60fps on GOOD graphics quality

You're going to need a better video card. May I suggest:
Newegg.com - ASUS ENGT240/DI/1GD3/A GeForce GT 240 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

i recognized when choosing a hard drive their was a "catche" i wasnt sure what that was and what the difference between 32mb and 16mb was.

Your cache is basically the 'buffer' size for the harddrive. The bigger the buffer the faster it can process information as it can read/write data from the buffer a little quicker as there's more information in the buffer to use. In terms of performance, you may or may not notice the difference between as 16MB and 32MB cache even though the difference is 2x. The performance boost is there, but it may not be worth the extra money, especially since you're going to need it for the graphics card and probably a power supply.

There's no power supply with this case.

Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7

Good selection

RAM-- The motherboard i choose has 4 slots so im looking for the cheapest way to 4GB

May not be the cheapest... but it's good and well reviewed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145260

Good.

Final questions. is the graphics card on that motherboard "good" or is it bad, because i was on newegg and noticed all the motherboards with built in graphics cards had that one.

It's mediocre at best. I wouldn't expect it to run WoW at 60FPS. Take a look at the card I suggested above.

And also i was curious to know how the whole putting a dvd drive went and how to plug it into the motherboard or even if it goes in a motherboard.

You plug the DVD drive into the mother via an IDE/Sata cable. Your motherboard will accept Sata and most DVD drives out today are now Sata, so it will come with a cable to plug it into your motherboard.

you answered all my questions thanks so much. i have another. with that video card how would i plug that into the motherboard itself?

Exhibit A
mballslots.jpg

The card will slide right into the PCI-Express 16x slot.

alright man thanks for your time you were a big help. do you know of a good case and power supply combo for cheap? and also the case i choose says it has a "case speaker" whats that? will one .08mm fan be enough?

case speaker goes beep beep when something is wrong lol. u dont wanna skimp on power supply. cheap ones blow out fast. get a brand named powersupply ocz, corsair, antec are good.

ok, another question i had (i know im full of them) on the case i was looking at it had the mic ports and 2 usb ports on the outside next to a power button. when i looked closer at the picture (on the inside of the case) i saw that their was a big thing of wires around that area zip tied. i take it you just connect the wire to a certain point on the mb? where is that point on the mother board id connect them to. and i dont know if that made any sense or even if u could awnser it..

Back
Top Bottom