Wont boot from new hard dive

Right. Usually I'm still able to click "Next" and there is an "automatically find and fix" problems option I can click which does the rest for me.

Have you double checked the settings in BIOS?

ive looked all threw the bio's and cant seem to find a thing about booting from IDE nor Sata
any suggestions on where to look

my mobo is a msi 740gtm-p25

You say the new drive is a complete clone of the old drive, but you don't say how you did this or how you know it is a complete clone?
Boot from a Windows 7 Recovery DVD and get to the command prompt. Then type

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK 0
LIST PAR
SELECT DISK 1
LIST PAR
EXIT

and tell us what you see.

It sounds like you have no boot code or partition table on the new drive?

You say the new drive is a complete clone of the old drive, but you don't say how you did this or how you know it is a complete clone?
Boot from a Windows 7 Recovery DVD and get to the command prompt. Then type

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK 0
LIST PAR
SELECT DISK 1
LIST PAR
EXIT

and tell us what you see.

It sounds like you have no boot code or partition table on the new drive?

alright so this is what i got

Disk 0
Partition------Type------ Size----- Offset
Partition 1 Primary 931gb 31kb

Disk 1
Partition------Type------ Size----- Offset
Partition 1 Primary 232gb 31kb

and i used EASEUS Partition Master 6.1.1 Professional Edition to clone over the drive

We need to see if the partition is active and also look at the boot code. Probably easier to make the partition active

can you type

DISKPART
SEL DIS 0
SEL PAR 1
ACT
EXIT

To put boot code on it try

bootsect /nt60 C: /mbr

where C: is the drive letter of your 1TB drive.

kay this is what i got

'BOOTSECT' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

In BIOS, make sure the SATA controllers are set to either "Legacy" or "Normal" (the wording varies by board). If they are set to "AHCI" or "RAID" the system will not boot. Usually there is an error but a flashing cursor wouldn't surprise me either. By setting the controller to the Legacy/Normal mode, you are telling it to emulate how the IDE controllers work.

If that doesn't work, you might need to boot off your windows 7 disk and run the repair tools on the install by clicking the "repair" option on the first screen. Usually after disk swapping it does the boot-sector fixing automatically.

hey i found an option called RAID mode?? but it only gives me the options "IDE RAID AHCI"

you need to boot to a Win 7 Recovery console (boot from a Win 7 Install disk and select Command Prompt). Then run bootsect.

Back
Top Bottom