Wont boot from new hard dive

tyler.stephens

Baseband Member
Hey guys
so heres my issue i recently bought a 1 tb hard drive to replace my 250gb.I made the new drive a complete duplicate of the old one.The problem lies with how the drives are connected .The new one uses the sata cable where the IDE cable( i think thats what their called) .When i go to boot from the new disk it just goes to a black screen with a little blinking key stroke thinger. this happens if i disconnect the old drive(which id like to do) or just boot from the new disk off the bois menu

is this the mobos problem or hard drives? im upgrading my whole system (except the new 1tb the hard drive is going into it aswell) .I dont want this problem to follow to my new system

Im running a msi 740gtm-p25 mobo

thanks for the help!

windows 7. At one point it was a dual boot with ubuntu but i removed it.(when you restart the option to boot ubuntu is still there but will not boot)

In BIOS, make sure the SATA controllers are set to either "Legacy" or "Normal" (the wording varies by board). If they are set to "AHCI" or "RAID" the system will not boot. Usually there is an error but a flashing cursor wouldn't surprise me either. By setting the controller to the Legacy/Normal mode, you are telling it to emulate how the IDE controllers work.

If that doesn't work, you might need to boot off your windows 7 disk and run the repair tools on the install by clicking the "repair" option on the first screen. Usually after disk swapping it does the boot-sector fixing automatically.

I don't think you can clone win 7.
You sure can't with Vista. (It won't boot at all)

I don't think you can clone win 7.
You sure can't with Vista. (It won't boot at all)

You can clone both, the issue was just that most programs didn't properly copy and relink the boot sector + 100mb boot partition that Windows 7 and Vista use.

Also in the bios there is a menu for the boot sequence. It's possible that on top of the boot sector not being right the bios is still looking for the IDE drive to boot off of. Check your bios settings closely. Set the sata drive as the boot drive.

The startup repair the the windows 7 disk is able to do will do that automatically.

Back
Top Bottom