problems with new build

solareclpse2000

Solid State Member
i jus built a new system from ground up and i got some questions. first of all the system is in a apevia case with asus m4a78lt-m phenom II x4 970 BE with stock heatsink and fan. 8gb gskill ripsaw ram (2x4gb) WD 1.5 tb green, saphire radeon 5770 1gb gpu.on hdmi out put on a 32in sharp lcdtv. blue ray dvd-rom. media card reader. 700w coolmax power supply.dvd lightscribe drive. ram cooler dual 60mm fans.asus pci 1 dual ant wireless card.win 7 64bit anyhow this is my wifes comp and everything on the build and install went well,until i loaded win 7. the mobo came with the drivers disk of course which i installed all the drivers on the disk.it comes with asus suite to help over clocking and cpu monitoring.as of now i have not overclocked.everything is in stock form. when i open asus suite it gives me the current mhz the cpu is running at. the issues is it should be around 3500.and i have noticed it will run 3500 for a few min then drops to 0800 mhz,even when opening various windows programs.and every 5-7 min will jump up to 3500mhz for maybe 2-3 min and then right back down to 0800. it seems to me that this may be some sort of protection messure windows is takin or my bios is making but i cant tell.i can do hardware all day long but bios manipulation overclocking and cpu software is new to me.i can handle the basics but this is beyond my skill level. oh,my systems on a phenom II x6 1100t thuban on an asus formula IV mobo doesnt drop mhz it stays at a consistant 3900mhz (oc'ed) at all times. it stayed consitant before i overclocked it too. can anyone point me in the right direction? sorry bout the length of this i just wanted to be as specific as possible. also does anyone have a good oc profile they can send me to DL on a flash drive that i can do an asus ez flash for my bios? thanks in advance

Try going into the BIOS and seeing if Cool n Quiet technology is enabled. Disable that and you shouldn't have any more issues with the processor dropping in speed.
If it does, something else is indeed going on.

ok cool that did it.thanks i been thinking about overclocking her comp with a mild oc profile but is it gona be safe with the stock amd fan? actually its a stock amd x6 1100 fan that came with my cpu. will it be safe to oc with this fan?

I think you'll get some extra performance out of it before heat becomes an issue, yes.
If you are going to overclock, move up slowly, checking benchmarks to check for stability, whilst checking for temps as you go.
If it passes, tweak it a bit more.

I believe the fans and heat-sinks that come with X4-X6's are very efficient in what they do

i have asus suite that i used to oc my comp. i dont really know enuff to be doin it manualy myself is why i been useing asus suite. i jus wanted to make sure heat wouldnt be an issue on hers before i initiated the program.it does all auto tuning.im sure i could get more out of it if i did it manualy jus scared to.i dont know how to run manual stability test either.asus suite does that too.lol

You'll be fine running that. It'll make sure that nothing damaging will happen to the PC, as it'll be built to stop way before any damage can occur.

i just loaded the auto tune and once it completed it was still running the standard 3500mhz now i dnt know what the hell to do. can i improve manualy on cpu voltage? how do i test for stability?

Back
Top Bottom