What is really so bad about Windows Me?

I had a Compaq (yeah...I know) that had WinME and it initially had problems. I took it to a repair shop and they gave me simple solution. They added RAM, I forget how much, until it was just under the max that the computer could handle, and advised me to keep it well updated. from that time on it ran like a top. Unfortunately that comp met a tragic end when lightning struck close by and we had a massive power surge.

Problem with ME is that they based it on 98SE, and they rushed it out, and the OS itself is unstable at times. Of course, it doesn't crash always, but some heavy applications could render the PC unstable. Nowdays, ME is a great OS for security leaks since it's outdated. I'd recommend you'd do an image, because if you reinstall ME, you'll have around 10% of all the updates done for that OS.

It's not a lucky draw that you are lucky to have a lucky copy of Windows ME. It might be because of the difference between hardware; RAM, cache and processing power etc. Otherwise, it's also possible that the slow computer has got its Windows corrupted or is full of viruses. Try installing a fresh copy of Windows Me on the slow computer and then compare the processing speed of both ones assuming they have same speed processors. interactive intelligence

Well, Windows Me could be liking the hardware on that computer. I heard from some places that Windows Me will run perfectly flawless on some hardware and just complain about other hardware.

Problem with ME is that they based it on 98SE, and they rushed it out, and the OS itself is unstable at times. Of course, it doesn't crash always, but some heavy applications could render the PC unstable. Nowdays, ME is a great OS for security leaks since it's outdated. I'd recommend you'd do an image, because if you reinstall ME, you'll have around 10% of all the updates done for that OS.

Reinstalling Windows Me is something that I would never do. When I manage to find the correct RAM sticks I can use in it, I will upgrade it to 512 MB of RAM and then install Windows 2000 on it...somehow...I don't have the cd.

I had a Compaq (yeah...I know) that had WinME and it initially had problems. I took it to a repair shop and they gave me simple solution. They added RAM, I forget how much, until it was just under the max that the computer could handle, and advised me to keep it well updated. from that time on it ran like a top. Unfortunately that comp met a tragic end when lightning struck close by and we had a massive power surge.

Hmmm...sorry it had a disasterous end...It seems to me that Millenium Edition only runs fine on good hard ware and fully updated...kinda like Windows Vista, only exept Vista being less buggy.

Hmmm...sorry it had a disasterous end...It seems to me that Millenium Edition only runs fine on good hard ware and fully updated...kinda like Windows Vista, only exept Vista being less buggy.

I presently run WinVista Premium without any problems (yet!) :)

Well that is good! If you like Windows Vista I am sure you will like Windows 7. But it is expensive :( But it is totally worth it :)

I think that everyone has their own experience with any given OS and forms their opinion based on that. Our IT guy at work just got in a slug of new computers (20+) with Win7 and he is up to his ears in problems. Of course, he has little good to say about the OS. He is a died in the wool WinXP Pro guy. I am sure that when things settle down he'll probably come around. I know a couple of people that upgraded to Win7 and they enjoy it very much. For what I use a 'puter for, an upgrade isn't a reasonable economic move. WinVista meets all of my needs and I probably use 1/10th of the capabilities of the box.

Back
Top Bottom