Hi! new to forums & not sure where to post my problem.

Lhyla

Beta member
My power company pulled the meter & upgraded it. (no advance warning of course) So when I went to log in to my computer I have to power up. ( It usually stays on all night) First off, it was trying to read the wrong drive, I have 2, I fixed that in the bios, after freaking out & thinking that ALL my stuff was GONE.
Then I notice everything seems slow, games, web pages.. everything loads slower.
Running Microsoft security essentials.
that scan found nothing... DL'd a copy of malwarebytes & found a "backdoor.bifrose" infecting over 6000 files... ran the cleaner on MWB rescanned & all is clean.. (I also ran CCleaner & Ad-Aware just to be sure (yeah just a bit paranoid now) the only thing those come up with now are browsing cookies.

I play Aion, a MMORPG, and before all this happened it ran fine, now I can hardly play the game, the FPS are down to between 3-13fps, just about unplayable.

how do I find out if anything was damaged due to the power issue OR the BIFROSE infection ?

My computer is older, about 6yo. running AMD Althlon64 3700+,Windows 7, 2GB RAM, CPU speed,2200Mhz, NVIDIA Geforce 9400GT vid,

THank You.
Lhyla

Hi and welcome,

To be honest probably the 'Hardware' section, although you are introducing yourself and have a fairly broad question so it isnt too bad a place to put it.

So, have you been able to turn your computer back on since the power loss? Does everything seem to be working ok? Anything different?

Give us the low-down :)

Seems a bit strange. I would have assumed you already had the infection before hand to be honest..

ANYWAY if you ran MWB + CCCleaner, you should be pretty much ok on the ''Infection'' Front.

Firstly, save any documents / important stuff incase you have any problems.

Hit Ctrl + Alt + Del - task manager - and check the loads, see if anything seems weird. Also Check the temperatures your getting, to make sure that isnt an issue.

Have you got the OS (Operating System) CD? If so, put a fresh copy of Windows 7 back on your computer. If no joy with that, Check your hardware and RAM with diagnostic tools (Memtest86 for the RAM, and for Hardware - try a google (or someone could suggest) and you will find a couple of free ones))

If non of that works, then it could be something like a faulty cap (capacitor) on your motherboard, or something similar. (dont poke around if you dont know what they are doing, but you can tell from looking that they have blown / look different to others) Check hardware last though (its often the most expensive to replace too!)

Hopefully that will help, If not im sure there will be more suggestions, by the time you get back

Re: Computer running slow after power loss & BIFROSE infection

Try updating/reinstalling your video card's driver to the latest. Also, check if your system wouldn't be overheating by any chance.

Thanks Guys,

I have the latest vid driver, just did that 2 days ago. not sure what is NORMAL for task mgr. How do I check temp & what is NORMAL ?

Lhyla

'Normal' in the respect of how much resources a program is taking up. If you have nothing running (I.E. you just loaded the computer up) and you open task manager - Check to see how much of the CPU is being used (normally a little % sign / green bar at the bottom of this screen or in the performance tab)

Then go to the Proccesses tab, and check to see if theres not anything being resource intensive (down the right hand side there should be a list the 'Mem Usage', and check theres no big numbers compared to the rest (like anything 50k+)

You will need to grab a temperature measuring piece of software (again - free from googling - some names are SpeedFan and PassMark off the top off my head) and check the temperatures. I THINK you can check them in the BIOS somehow (but I'm not 100% on that)

I am off now for a few hours so cant reply to anything else - Good Luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom