Tracing IP Address to my house?

I think the authorities would actually contact your ISP immediately if they need to know your location. I'm not sure if they have anyone that is knowledgeable in tracing the IP maybe the FBI, not sure.

I think the authorities would actually contact your ISP immediately if they need to know your location. I'm not sure if they have anyone that is knowledgeable in tracing the IP maybe the FBI, not sure.

They mention IP tracking on kick ass the film.

your LAN has an IP address that is visable from outside of your network, called a Public IP. This is assigned by your ISP when you set up your internet connection or ISDN line. However, all of the computers on your network will have their own individual IPs called private IPs (eg. 192.168.1.2)

your router's ip is public, and therefore can be anything, depending on your ISP and when you recieved the static IP (eg. 200.56.1.2)

if i told you my pc's IP address (currently 192.168.0.6) you wouldnt be able to do anything, since several million PCs will have the same private address. Anything i do on the internet will leave my router's IP as a kind of signature, showing where it came from. This is actually quiet scarily easy to find out if you dont reach the things you agree to on the internet.

e.g. i believe on CF, our IPs are visable to those who are allowed to see them. This means that people cant make multiple spam accounts from one location.

The only people with the resources to get your ISP to hand over your personal information are law enforcement types. Unless you're doing something really illegal on the internet you won't get tracked to your home by your IP address.

If you are using a proxy server, CF or anyone else is going to see the IP of the proxy server instead of the IP from your ISP. You can also prevent your ISP from seeing what you are doing on the internet with the use of a proxy server.

your LAN has an IP address that is visable from outside of your network, called a Public IP. This is assigned by your ISP when you set up your internet connection or ISDN line. However, all of the computers on your network will have their own individual IPs called private IPs (eg. 192.168.1.2)

your router's ip is public, and therefore can be anything, depending on your ISP and when you recieved the static IP (eg. 200.56.1.2)

if i told you my pc's IP address (currently 192.168.0.6) you wouldnt be able to do anything, since several million PCs will have the same private address. Anything i do on the internet will leave my router's IP as a kind of signature, showing where it came from. This is actually quiet scarily easy to find out if you dont reach the things you agree to on the internet.

e.g. i believe on CF, our IPs are visable to those who are allowed to see them. This means that people cant make multiple spam accounts from one location.

we all know that RFC1918 addresses are used tens of hundreds of times over, they are a private range, not externally routable, that's the whole point of RFC 1918, but your private address doesn't matter.

It's not really your private IP that anyone is interested in your external/public address that's going to be leading people to your house.

there may be some confusion over who has written whatever illegal materials from whatever computer, but to be fair, when you're joining in anonops or some crap like that who do they really think is going to be doing that? your mum? your dad? little sister maybe? or you??

and even if you think that you're completely fine in school then think again.
lots of places log web traffic on proxy servers (yes your school is likely to have a proxy server, that's probably what they are using to block your traffic).
some places even log connections on the firewall.

so when the "feds" do come knocking at your school principals door your schools IT people are likely to already have all the information ready and waiting to give to them.

Typically however, it would take some kind of police involvement for your ip address to lead someone to your actual home. (but not necessarily a warrant).

however, as I said in my last post, with the goolge street car having gone around, the world now tapping into any unsecured network and recording the SSID and that ip etc to build a more accurate geo-location map. there's a reasonable chance that the kind of information that could lead someone to your street is already out there. in the public domain.

and yes for this forum (and likely any other), mods and admins can see peoples IP addresses but that's limitted to the address that you signed up from, and the addresses that you make posts from, if you just come on and lurk that info would be recorded on the webserver logs (visible to admins not mods), but would not be stored in the forum database -visible to mods and admin.

we have/do/will use IP's to ban accounts that appear to come from multiple places (we do research first to make sure it's not a school).

If you are using a proxy server, CF or anyone else is going to see the IP of the proxy server instead of the IP from your ISP. You can also prevent your ISP from seeing what you are doing on the internet with the use of a proxy server.

If you are using a proxy server to view CF then typically we will see the proxy server, (though that depends if the proxy is transparant of not).
but... don't think that the proxy server owner won't be keeping any log files.

if you do or say something wrong/illegal somewhere then it'll get traced to that proxy server, that proxy server may then hold the details that lead that action directly back to you.

[...]If you are using a proxy server to view CF then typically we will see the proxy server, (though that depends if the proxy is transparant of not).
but... don't think that the proxy server owner won't be keeping any log files.

if you do or say something wrong/illegal somewhere then it'll get traced to that proxy server, that proxy server may then hold the details that lead that action directly back to you.

Yes, that is true. I was thinking of anonymity, rather than concealing illegal activity. Clearly, proxy server sites, for their own protection, maintain log files.

Back
Top Bottom