Computer freezing?

xK1DREAPERx

Solid State Member
Hello, I built a new computer on the weekend and for some reason it keeps freezing. I cant do anything. All power to the keyboard and mouse turns off, but then when i replug them they light up but its still frozen. What could be the problem ??

It sounds like a lack of power problem for your PC, just have a quick check to see if the power connections are secure.

If it still happens, are you sure you've used a PSU with enough wattage?

You might want to update the drivers by downloading them from the manufacturer. What's your specs?

You might want to update the drivers by downloading them from the manufacturer. What's your specs?

900w PSU, Dark Power Pro.

NZXT Sentry LX Fan Controller, Black, Double Decker needs 2 x 5.25" Bays £38.89 £46.67

120mm Antec TriCool Blue LED Manual 3-speed switch 3-pin & 4-pin connector Fan speed monitoring (X2)

Corsair Hydro Series H70 High-performance CPU Cooler, LGA775/1155/1156/1366, AM2/AM3

8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-1280 (1600), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.50V

Intel Core i7 2600K Unlocked, Socket 1155, Sandy Bridge, Quad Core, 3.4 GHz,

2GB XFX HD 6950, PCI-E 2.1 (x16), 5000MHz GDDR5, GPU 800MHz, 1408Cores, DL DVI-I/ DVI/ HDMI/ 2x mDP (X2)

Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme Cutting Edge Thermal Compound 3.5g

2TB HDD

Window 7 Home premium

MSI P67A-GD65 P67 Motherboard

I'm aware of a P67 chipset recall, but I don't know if yours is fixed or not, but it shouldn't matter. Try updating your drivers to the latest, by downloading them from MSI's website. I don't really recommend installing drivers on the bundled CD or DVD.

Mine isn't fixed, but that shouldn't make a difference as its to do with the stat ports, or should it ?

I downloaded the drivers and it still freezes :(

Hello, I built a new computer on the weekend and for some reason it keeps freezing. I cant do anything. All power to the keyboard and mouse turns off, but then when i replug them they light up but its still frozen. What could be the problem ??

Does your computer boot all the way up then lock up?

Your computer is new so you don't really know if the problem is software or hardware. That would be the first thing that I would try to determine. A fairly simple way to do that is to boot your computer from the CD or DVD drive with a different operating system. If the computer still does the same thing then I would start investigating the hardware. If it works perfectly on another operating system then I would investigate the hardware.

You can download Ubuntu, burn it to a disk with ImgBurn and boot your computer off of the CD/DVD drive. This will allow you to test your hardware with another operating system without changing the operating system on your hard disk. Just choose to try out Ubuntu rather than install when you boot off of the Ubuntu CD.

Another choice of CD that you can download and boot from is the Ultimate Boot CD which has a bunch of diagnostic software on it you can use to test your hardware.

I took the harddrive out of my old computer and put it into my new. Is it possible that windows corrupted ?

My computer boots fine, it will just randomly freeze. The computer stays on and fans make noise everything usb dies and stops lighting up. But if i replug them while its frozen they will light upp again.

Did you build your new computer with it's own hard drive, then install the hard drive from your old computer into your new one to test it?

No i just transfered the old HDD to my new computer and then put a second one in for backups.

I just formatted both and reinstalled windows. Still freezes, I believe its down to the intel chip. It seems to happen when the computer needs to use its turbo boost option. Any suggestions ?

Back
Top Bottom