Bought a car on Craigslist

FlightSimBoy

Fully Optimized
And it paid off really well.

I've heard horror stories about buying cars on Craigslist, but I really needed a vehicle. As in had 24 hours to be in a vehicle or be stranded. So I turned to every option. Couldn't get financing at a new or used car lot. There aren't any local "buy here, pay here" lots.

Then I stumbled upon a little jewel (at least it looked like it online.) A 1999 Plymouth Voyager.

I personally liked the Voyager. My work van is a 1995 Voyager, and I put over 150 miles on it a day and experience no issues. I really liked my work van.

I got more than expected out of the van I bought.

I paid 2,500 for it, and I believe it to be a great investment. Mechanically, there is nothing wrong with the van. Engine purrs like a kitten. The only flaw is a cracked windshield, which is not imperative to fix. I have until June.

I was kind of upset with the gas mileage the '95 (work van) got. However, after some research, and after driving the '99 around some already, I've come to realize it (the '99) gets excellent gas mileage. I haven't figured up what mine specifically gets, but it should average around 23 to 25, much better than my truck. The '95s gas mileage was about the same as my truck.

It's a great vehicle. Seats 8 passengers. It drives like a sports car. It came with a tow bar installed.

I'll find out in the long run if this was a good purchase or not. So far, I think it is.

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention, I totaled my '99 F-150. The rear end slipped on a patch of black ice, next thing I know, I went head first into a concrete barrier. The frame is about an inch and a half shorter, the driver side wheel is almost broke off, and there's a hole in the radiator. In the state of WV, if anything that major happens to the frame, it's an automatic total loss.

Glad to hear your OK From the accident! I've bought 2 cars online, aslong as you inspect the vehicle first and know what to look for, theres usually no issues.

Thanks, I'm still a little sore. It's weird how your body recovers from coming to a stop instantly from 50 MPH.

Generally speaking, I know my way around cars. I know when buying a used car, the engine compartment should look clean, but not too clean. The motor had grease and what have you in the places where you'd expect to see that kind of thing, so the seller didn't do anything to fancy the motor up. Underneath, the frame looked fine. No rust, anything. I also know that freshly changed oil can either be a good thing (shows complete maintenance record) or bad (trying to hide something about the oil.) But the oil in it looked like it had a few hundred on it, not black but not the brown you usually see fresh oil.

I did notice some transmission fluid underneath, but upon further inspection, I found a loose clamp, and I'm almost 100 percent sure that's where it came from. Easy fix. It needs a new belt, but again, that was something I was willing to fix.

Only thing I don't like about the vehicle is the automatic transmission, but I can live with it for now.

In the condition it's in, it books for around 3,200.

Great! Did you haggle him down or did he want 2.5 in the beggining? When i bought my feroza that guy wanted $3500 for it, talked him down to $2800 :D

Craigslist is great, I've sold two cars there, bought 3, and other things as well. Always haggle them about the price. I bought my 5.0 on there, guy was asking $50, got it for $25. My engine lift, guy was asking $100, got it for $50. You just have to inspect the car, no returns there, "buyers remorse" is common. The second Mustang I bought was a little rustier than I thought underneath while the rest of the car looked good for the price.

sounds good. Any pics for those of us outside ofthe us that don't know what a voyager looks like?

Hey - dont know if this is the rightplace to post it - but i thought I would throw it up here quickly.

I've just found a lappy using a pretty popular site (similar to craigslist) and going to purchase. Its a good deal by the look of it - although just wandering wether or not anyone can see a scam here! Basically this is how its gone so far:

Ive emailed person saying: ''hi do you still have laptop?''
They emailed back saying: ''Yes have it - it has 1 year warranty left on it, and let me know if you're interested and have cash for it as I want a fast sale''
I replied ''OK where n when do you want to meet, so I can look at it?''
Last reply was: ''Sorry for late reply been tied up out of town with work. Would you agree to delivery? as mentioned im out of town withwork commitments and I left the laptop in FedEx custody this morning (at my costs inc shipping) You will have 30 mins to inspect the laptop n void the shipment if somethings wrong. For payment you will need cash. If you agree ill have to pass your shipping address and mobile no. to fedex as they will call u before hand. Thanks.''

I havent replied yet. Seeing as you (or other people with experience / a bit of logic!) may have done this stuff before - can you see any catches or anything in this??

A swift reply would be amazing - And ty guys

As long as you get to inspect the laptop *Before* payment and receive the original warranty/receipt/invoice to prove that it has got warranty, i dont see what could go wrong.

Nor me really. Wandering what to do in the 30 minutes that I have to test it?

Check hinges / mouse pad / keyboard etc are ok.
Check paper work (i hope they send some) confirm warranty
Im thinking restart it a few times to see if it boots up ok.
Worth running Memtest / Malwarebytes or anything like that?

Cheers for the reply Neo - the laptop is a pretty good deal, just trying to go over all the aspects etc to make sure im not missing a trick / being retarded here. Also as a first time user of this sort of site, find my self a bit ''extra precausious'' so to speak.

Chrysler-Voyager28374.jpg

Thats what the Voyager looks like..

Back
Top Bottom