Wireless USB Dongle Problems...

andy1027

In Runtime
USB DONGLE: Dlink DWA-140
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64BIT
Wireless Router: Dlink DIR-635
Desktop Computer

I'm having a few problems with this usb dongle device...
I would like to get rid of the problem of when I see in the name of the device a number like 2 or at the moment 9 etc. I just want it to stay 'Wireless Network Connection' rather than 'Wireless Network Connection #' as I feel it makes changes for some reason in the settings of the adapter. (i remember having a similar number issues on my old XP machine)
Plus SOMETIMES (only sometimes) when I resume my PC from Sleep my network status is recognised as unplugged, so I have to remove and place back the dongle into the USB port for so I can start using the device again.

At the moment the device name is 'Wireless Netowork Connection 9' using the adapter 'D-Link DWA-140 RangeBooster N USB Adapter #5' but I see that there is a 'Wireless Network Connection 10' here too. It is apparently using an adaptor called 'Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter #5'

I also notice that whenever you Right click on the DLINK connection in 'Network Connections' > Properties > General
It says the location is: Port_#0004.Hub_#0003

And when I go into 'Advanced' tab (due to experience of this particular device) I see in the 'Property' menu the following...

Multimedia/Gaming Environment
WMM Capable

When I used this device on my other older XP machine there was a rather reasonable list of properties like,
PSP Xlink
Channel Select etc (or was it auto channel select? Im not sure I cannot remember)
and many more :confused:

I figure that this is a driver problem and notice there is an updated driver available on DLINK's Site. But I would like to see what everyones take on this is and also the cause and solution to the problem, if it is really a driver problem or not. I have a funny feeling that the resuming from sleep issue isn't a driver problem but I'm not sure/ Thats why im posting this

Thank you All your contibution is much appreciated :)

PS i dont seem to notice any problems surfing the web

Update the driver so that it supports Windows 7. Also, if everything is working, why mess with it?

Hate the N series dongle with DLINK, we got a free one with the 50Mg internet upgrade for the laptop. It never worked properly so we went back to the wireless inside the laptop and never looked back again, the N series now sits nicely in the bin!!

How can I COMPLETLY REMOVE the OLD Driver ??????????????????
Need to Know solutions asap
thanks

Ok well I installed the new driver and I haven't had any problems when I resume the PC from Sleep.

However I havn't got all my options back.

Maybe this isn't a Windows 7 Certified Device...

Back
Top Bottom