New rig won't power on.

So i have built my system (EXCEPT CPU, It's coming next week). So just to make sure the PSU Was working OK i tried powering it up (Mind you, no CPU Is installed), it turns on for 2 seconds that shuts off, Stays off for 3 seconds, then turns on again. It just cycles through this.

Pardon the stupid question - Is this normal for a motherboard with no CPU?

Have you tried shorting green to black on the 24 pin ATX plug? The PSU should turn on and stay on as long as it's shorted.

I've never tried any of my computers without a CPU, so I'm not really sure if that's normal or not. Are you getting any POST messages?

if you have a computer with no CPU in it it you should be getting beep codes. Yet again i guess it depends on the motherboard it might be restarting itself because it is not detecting a CPU i would suggest finding another power supply and testing it and see if it does the same thing.

I would suggest waiting until you get your CPU before you start any kind of troubleshooting.

The PSU Stays on when you short it out, i just want to make sure the motherboard is working, so that if its not i can get it returned before the CPU Arrives. I Was assuming that it should just stay on and beep.

Edit:

So the system is complete and working just fine. It turns out that even though older systems will just beep at you (Socket 478,775) it would seem that the latest motherboard (1366/1155) just dont power up.

Back
Top Bottom