building touch screen at home (nice trick)

teadrinker

Beta member
Hi there,

I was thinking about building touch screen on my own. Few days ago I've seen a glass table with projector mounted at the bottom. Projector was heading straight at table layer so when we put a piece of paper we get nice display panel.

So, then I found this nice tutorial how to make multitouch pad. However this concept assumes that source of light is outside the box.

Do you have any idea how to connect these two concepts to make cool multitouch display in my table? ;)

that's pretty cool...

it's not going to work for your idea though, as you pointed out, if there is a projector in the box then the light source will not allow the shaddows to pass though the box. (which is what the webcam is detecting to allow the software to work).

what you will need is a real touch screen on top of the table.

something like this
22 Inch 4 Wire Resistive Touch Screen Panel Kit for PC on eBay (end time 27-Feb-11 14:31:47 GMT)

alternativly, with some mirrors and focusing lenses you may be able to take your projector image and display it from the top.
(but then your fingers are going to cast shaddows and obstruct the picture unless you can cast the image from several light sources (projectors or mirrors) at once).

in short... your options for making a touch screen coffee table are.

buy a touch screen monitor and encase it in wood.
or make a projection box and put a touch screen matrix on top of it.

the first option will be the most reliable,
the second option will be the most work.

Back
Top Bottom