Motherboard Help / General Gaming Computer Help

TholomewP

Solid State Member
I recently bought a NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GTX to discover that my graphics card was not the source of the lag I received when I played Starcraft II. That's when I realized my computer has an Intel Pentium 4 processor. This dinosaur piece of shit was the cause of my frustration. So I looked into gaming cpu's, and came up with the AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2 GHz. Now I need a motherboard. And I know shit about motherboards. Can anyone help me? I know nothing of all the ports and plugs that I need. I wouldn't really pay more than $50-$75 for one. Thanks for the help

GPU - usually refers to graphics card, though literally it refers to the chip on the card.

6600GT_GPU.jpg

PCI is an expansion slot

sata-pci-express-pci-card.jpg

heatsink is used to dissipate heat away from components that generate heat, like a graphics card or processor.

heatsink.jpg

Alright so let me get this straight. The GPU is my graphics card; my NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GTX? The PCI is where I install hardware onto my motherboard, and the heatsink sits on top of hardware to cool it down?

gimme a minute ill do a breakdown, but yeah you're essentially correct.

PCI just means Peripheral Component interconnect. It replaced ISA as the general expansion card bus. the PCI-express 16-speed is for graphics cards, but regular PCI slots can be used for RAID cards, USB expanders etc.

yeah, sure.

also: heres a breakdown that explains a bit about what i said earlier (this is my graphics card before it got installed)

like most graphics cards now, it has a plastic case over the heatsink, and only the fan is visable from the top.

GPU.jpg

The CPU I am going to buy once I get a motherboard is the AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT [Display adapter]
Acer AL1706 [Monitor]
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170A [Hard Drive]

Just let me know if I should post anything else. I got all this information from Belarc Advisor.

The mobo i linked has SATA and an IDE port, so it will cater for any drive you might pick up in the modern day.

i did just remember something though, the M-LE has a cpu wattage limit of 95W, so give me a minute to find a similar thing with a higher wattage range.

also, what RAM does your machine use? you're going to need new memory too unless it's DDR3, which i doubt if it's got a pentium 4.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3131603&cm_re=ASUS_AM3-_-13-131-603-_-Product

Back
Top Bottom