Random Chit Chat

electronics guys: I have regulated 8v DC power source. Now; I need ~5v DC. Using a LM7805 voltage regulator is out of the question because, well, i dont feel like ordering and waiting on one damn chip. How can i lower that 8v to 5 simply? My knowledge on resistors is a little lacking

I think we need to get rid of the Facebook group already, either that or give people mod powers on there. I'm sick of the un-moderated spam.

You could make a voltage divider with a 3K and a 5K ohm resistor in series. With the 3K resistor at 8v and the 5K resistor at common, you should find 5V at he junction between the two.

That is, I think so.... it's the end of the day andI've had a very long day at work.

I ended up diggin up a 7905 negative voltage regulator.
I know i can use a 7805 POSITIVE voltage regulator to get a garenteed 5v DC, but would this chip do the same thing? Im a little confused

I got a random BSOD in the middle of the night last night. I don't know what caused it but I woke up when my computer restarted and checked the reliability history and it said there was an unexpected shutdown because of a blue screen. It just seems so random. The computer works fine today however I still want to know what caused it. Is there any way to tell when you didn't see the bluescreen itself?

edit: My bet is it's my hard drive again. It isn't bad it just acts up once or twice every couple months then after that it behaves itself.

yeah but what do I need to remember that is important from them. I found the entry that refers to the incident but don't know what to make of it. I checked the reliability monitor and checked for a solution. Didn't come back with anything though.

I don't even know if this is going to be an ongoing issue though. Sometimes these things just happen. LAst week my laptop had a bsod while I was in a classroom run entirely on solar power and it was a cloudy day so it might have not gotten the proper voltage through the wall socket. that had to be it's issue since it never did it again back at my dorm or anywhere else.

Read the Memory dump and if you need some help with it, start a thread as I'm sure some others would benefit from that.

It seems I can call a Sony technician to come over and replace my bad HDD for free. Which is pretty cool since I don't have to send in my whole laptop.

Back
Top Bottom