Dell Inspiron 9100 processor question

makenzie71

Solid State Member
I have a Dell Inspiron 9100. Under DXDIAG it labels my processor as "Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz". Under system properties is says "Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz 3.19GHz".

Both of those, to me, say it's a 3.2GHZ dual core laptop, but when I look up the computer specs online all I find say 3.2GHz single core processor.

Can anyone clear up my bit of confusion here? Has someone come along and upgraded the processor or did the 9100 come with dual processors?

Ah. The old Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.2 GHz CPU, Socket 478 Gallatin core.

It is a single core CPU but it has Hyper Threading, so the OS will see two virtual cores.

Not a bad CPU for 7 years old.

It's working great for me. I get stuck out of town periodically and wanted to get a machine I could watch movies and play WoW on. So far it does both great..especially for $75, considering all the upgrades it's had.

TBH, $75 was a hell of a steal on something like that, barring you got the whole tower for that. That thing was a beast. Ran hot, sure, but a beast nonetheless.

Hasn't been too hot for me, but I haven't really been "working" it. Only thing I've done really is run WoW, but the visuals stay bottomed out. As long as it'll keep me occupied on the road I'll be pleased. All it really needs is a battery...but, from what I've been told, it's not like a battery will do much for me anyway.

HI, I have the same question, a 3Gig Inspiron 9100. Havent been able to find codes, as I am thinking of changing chips, not too upgrade, but becasue of fans. have tried BIOS A06 which suposedly fixed it but didnt, and yes fans are clean as I just reinstalled a new motherboard. try setting temps of fans using a controller prog, however they are always on at least somewhat, and get to 60 degrees quick, and stay on even if they drop down. And I want to use t his as a recording laptop in a sound home studio!!! aaah
So a friend has a few chips but needs codes? Any ideas? Is there any info i can provide, and how, please?
cheers
Judson

What chips/codes are you trying to get?

The fans on mine run almost non-stop because it's a giant, power-gobbling system that runs hot. It gets hot enough to not be comfy sitting on my lap, but it holds up to it. I admit I'm not that familiar with this machine yet but I would think that a cooling dock would be a lot more efficient a way to cool it off.

HI, I just want to change the chip. A friend of mine said he can do it, but he didnt have 'processor codes', and very busy, so I thought i woul ddo the searching but I cant find these codes for any chips ('processor codes). just want to know what compatible. i am starting to think that it may be the chip is aged, and a healthier chip may run cooler. It used to be really quiet, until a few months ago. I then changed motherboards but nothings changed re fans..
Here is a site that states something about this chip:
Dual Core CPU upgrade Dell Inspiron 9100? - PCMech Forums

and he says:

I have a Dell inspiron 9100 it has a
pentium 4 prescott 3.0 ghz according to cpuz its a socket 478 mPGA 90nm
chipset I865p/PE/G/I848P
is there a dual core chip i can buy and use with this laptop?"

That may be what we need to know..?
could get a dock, they are generally fairly large though, no? Are they usually very quiet? i want ot record in my studio!
cheers

ah...looking at processors. There are no dual core processors that'll swap into this machine. There aren't really any processors that swap into it just because of the nature of the beast: it was one of the first hard core laptops designed to serve as a complete desktop replacement. They built it around a desktop processor...all the hardware was designed to work with that processor and not anything else. Even if you got a processor with the right socket configuration, you would have a hard time getting it to work with the other hardware...if you could get it to work at all.

The docks aren't very expensive...I picked up a used one a while back that's watercooled for $50 (a little luck, but still). Not generally any louder than a desktop tower. It shouldn't interfere with recording because your mic should be at least 5 feet from the computer anyway. That that distance you shouldn't even pick up the dock.

Back
Top Bottom